Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Importing Outlook Contacts Into Laptop Outlook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Princehorn

Jim Princehorn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

I have a problem when I import my contacts from my desktop Outlook into my laptop Outlook. The way I do this is to export them from my desktop machine onto a flash drive, then I move that to my laptop and import them. The problem is that once completed, my laptop Outlook sorts the list by the first name, rather than by the last name as my desktop does.

My list is about 5K names, and while I do have a few occurrences where there are a couple of people with the same last name, there are FAR more with similar first names. You wouldn't believe how many Dave's I have!

I have gone into the "Tools, Preferences, Contact Options" on the laptop, and it IS set for "sort by last name."

Both computers are tunning XP Pro, and Outlook 2003.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _dozzer

_dozzer

• Banned
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:22 AM

I hope this will help... I've just sorted my contacts by last name by doing the following:
Go > Contacts, then I selected phone list from Current view. Then right-click on the empty place of the contacts table and select Customize Current View > Fields and Last name field. Now when I click on the Filed column in the contacts table Outlook sorts my contacts by last name.

Also, you can always move your contacts and other outlook data using this utility.

#3 Jim Princehorn

Jim Princehorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

I need to add some information that I forgot. My list is sorted by last name when I look at the contacts list, in any view, ie: "address cards," "detailed address cards," etc. Where they are sorted by first name is when I start a new message, then click on the "to" button. When the address selection window opens, the list shows the first name first, and it is sorted by first name.

Everything is okay in the Outlook on my desktop, something happens either during the import, or once the contacts arrive in the Outlook program in my laptop.

Curious?

JBP

Edited by Jim Princehorn, 14 February 2008 - 11:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users