Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pclinuxos Live Cd Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 comdoc

comdoc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:40 AM

Downloaded Big Daddy, and burned file from desktop to DVD (too big for my 567mb (Maxell '700mb') CD. Toshiba
"tech support" (sic) page says hold down C key to hot boot CD...but all that does is cause a beep beep sound until Windoze XP boots from HD. How can I boot from CD before Windoze takes over? I'm a total Linux newb. Thanks for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

Do you know how to go into the bios to set your system to boot from the CD first? It varies from computer to computer, but it will say during the boot screen (before Windows takes over).

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hay there comdoc
Call me curious, but why are you wanting to use 0.93a "Big Daddy" (release candidate) instead of 2007 ( Full Distrubition release) ?

Downloaded Big Daddy, and burned file from desktop to DVD (too big for my 567mb (Maxell '700mb') CD.

Say Again ? If your using a Maxell 700mb cdr then it should burn fine, where did you get your copy of 93a as it's listed as 685mb, 2007 is 698mb and burns to cdr for me with no problems.
You may want to check your dvd to see if you have 2 folders named "boot" and "isolinux" and a file named livecd.sqfs on it, if not, and you only have one named PCLinuxOS .iso (or something like that) then you will need to re-burn it as a Image :flowers:
Lots of help here http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=...f&Itemid=26
Have been unfettered by windows for 2 years (or there abouts) now, and lovin' every minute of it :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 comdoc

comdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for your response, actually it was 2007 final release (confused about name). I'm in Malaysia where fake goods are sold. These look like and are label embossed Maxell CD-RW 80min/700mb--but only have 567mb capacity! I can't open the ISO to see what is inside. Error msg: Your version of DLA can read files on this disc but you will not be able to edit or add to them. The file appears as: pclinuxos-2007, ISO image file, 714,520 KB. Double clicking the file icon causes the hourglass to appear but never opens...and must do CtrlAltDel to stop non responding process.

Best regards,

comdoc

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Ah, I see what part of your problem is then. :flowers: When you can get a 700mb disk that is 700mb then you will need to burn it as a "Image" , you probably will have to look for that option in what ever burning software you are using , then if you "look" at the disk under windows you should have the 2 folders and 1 file then and be good to go, hopefully :thumbsup:
Best of luck to you !

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 comdoc

comdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

? This is a direct quote from above: "pclinuxos-2007, ISO image file, 714,520 KB". Is this not an image? I used Sonic Now to burn this to a DVD--that's what is in the CD drive (Matsush*ta combo drive). Thanks for clarification. Now I'm trying to burn the file to a 567mb CD at 1X--just to see if those files show up. When I try to run the DVD in CD drive, it does not open. Is the ISO file an executable? Am I missing something here?

Edited by comdoc, 13 February 2008 - 10:19 PM.

#7 comdoc

comdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

groovicus, I discovered that <esc>, F1 gets me into BIOS. I changed the boot order, and voila! the CD and
DVD both boot. Now I get a screen that says: Intel Boot Agent FE v4.1.16...and Client MAC address ff by a bunch of numbers, and GUID: also ff by more numbers. Finally, PXE-MOF: exiting Intel Boot Agent...then Windozzzze boots from HD. Now what? Thanks to all for help.

#8 comdoc

comdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:27 AM

Solved...I had copied the iso file directly to CD. Sonic Now does not have burn iso feature. I downloaded a nice little program: BurnCDCC from: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/BurnCDCC.htm It burns iso files, with a choice to write protect the Live CD. Mepis 7.0 works! *excited* about Linux.

#9 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

:thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users