Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweaked Registry - Now A Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:50 AM

I tweaked the registry as I had a problem with a usb device, I didn't back the registry up before I begain, idiot!

When I boot up just before it gets to the login screen I am getting this error:

"The logon user interface dll c:\windows\system32\bcmlogon.dll failed to load "

With a restart option.

- I've read a little bit about it, it says it linked to a certain wireless card - I've removed mine, but no joy.

- I can't get into safe mode either.

Is there a registry restore/or a solution?

Someone said to do this:

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
* In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete. (You need to remove the whole value, not just its Value Data)
* Close Registry Editor

back I can't login to do it?:
Any ideas, Thanks for any help.
Brighton, UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:36 AM

I can't get into safe mode either.

Have you tried safe mode with "command prompt" yet?
If you can get there try a system restore.
At the command prompt type "C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" (no quotes) and hit your enter key. Follow prompts. Long shot but worth a try. If no go, please post make and model of the system.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:54 AM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0...fs/default.aspx

GinaDLL looks like a very dangerous key to modify
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Stay out of the registry until you learn how to restore it without booting into Windows (and that only works about 50% of the time). Always backup your registry. Oh, and don't mess with Gina unless you know exactly what you're doing - Gina doesn't like being messed with and can react unpredictably!!!

This is also one of the only times that I "like" System Restore - as it saves a copy of your registry for you. Follow HitSquad's advise to start System Restore and restore back to a point before this registry edit was done.

As for the wireless card, you'd have to uninstall the software (in Add/Remove Programs) and the driver from Device Manager. That would likely stop the error.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:25 AM

Stay out of the registry until you learn how to restore it without booting into Windows (and that only works about 50% of the time). Always backup your registry. Oh, and don't mess with Gina unless you know exactly what you're doing - Gina doesn't like being messed with and can react unpredictably!!!

This is also one of the only times that I "like" System Restore - as it saves a copy of your registry for you. Follow HitSquad's advise to start System Restore and restore back to a point before this registry edit was done.

As for the wireless card, you'd have to uninstall the software (in Add/Remove Programs) and the driver from Device Manager. That would likely stop the error.

I reinstalled windows over the top - leaving all the files intact, so I am back up and running again - Thanks for all your help
Brighton, UK

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:10 AM

Someone said to do this:

:flowers:

everybody's a computer expert, I know enough about the registry to stay out of it

that was a good fix!

:trumpet: :thumbsup:

Edited by DaChew, 13 February 2008 - 08:10 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users