Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I Tweak The Registry Properly? Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:39 AM

i happened upon this link through a google search.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=187000225

the tweak that is revealed in the article allows the user to bypass many limitations within the recovery console. i sure like it better when my hands aren't tied. they provide a screenshot where the actual tweak takes place. i have attached it.

in the attached screenshot, the radio circle for "decimal" is checked. i negotiated to that location to tweak my computer and that particular radio circle on my computer was not checked, "hexidecimal" was checked instead. there was no mention of checking "decimal", just changeing the 0 to a 1. i am nowhere's near knowledgeable enough to know the significance of leaving the "hexidecimal" checked, or checking "decimal". could i do damage?

should i check "decimal" so my registry entry is like theirs, or leave "hexidecimal" checked?

thanks for the advice, Ed

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:51 AM

Just my two cents as I'm not a whiz at registry editing, but...
Hexadecimal is hex code that the computer reads and decimal is plain numbers that you read. If you change the decimal and close the box you will notice the hex code next to it has changed. Be sure to backup the registry before saving any changes, especially keys regarding part of the Windows installation. Useful but risky.

Slightly off topic but if you're not sure about editing the registry what purpose is changing the recovery console into a mini OS going to serve you?

Edited by Tomo2, 12 February 2008 - 01:54 AM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:53 AM

what im about to say could be completely wrong, so take it with a grain of salt

but decimal is like 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc...

hexadecimal uses 0-9 and A-F to represent digits(wep key, anyone?).

i would say that there would be a large difference leaving it hex if the radio button is decimal in the screenshot, it should have said tho...

goodluck
=)

#4 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:48 AM

Hexadecimal of 1 value is the same as decimal 1 value. Unless Hexa is A whereby decimal should be 10. So I think 1 & 0 is an on/off thing. But as for the value in hex and dec, it represents the same value.
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#5 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

tomo2,

Be sure to backup the registry

i have erunt installed.

what purpose is changing the recovery console into a mini OS going to serve you?

if i have problems in the future i may be able to solve them as a result of this tweak. it allows access to parts of the hard drive where access was previously denied.

4ward tristan,

it should have said tho...

it's a good article, but could have been better by mentioning this detail.

syunichi,

Hexadecimal of 1 value is the same as decimal 1 value

then i am ok with leaving the setting on "hexidecimal". that answers my question.

Hexa is A whereby decimal should be 10

hexidecimal A equals 10, hexidecimal B equals 11. etc.

thanks for all replies, Ed

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

If they said Decimal, then you should be in Decimal. It's likely that the difference between Hex and Decimal here isn't significant - but do you want to chance your system (and registry) to that?

As for the extra features of the Recovery Console - it's not intended for that purpose, so I'd leave it alone. If you need the extra "power", then I'd suggest a PE based tool that'll allow you to do those things in an environment that's a bit easier to use (BartPE or the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD)).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

usasma,
always good to hear from you.
my purpose for pursuing this is to have every advantage available to me in case there is a problem with my system. if i am unable to get into safe mode, then recovery console is the next best thing. when i first purchased the system from my neighbor i installed the recovery console. i am able to choose the recovery console every time my system boots.
here is info from the aforementioned article.

it's a very good tool.
But it's also very limited. By default, it restricts you to working in just a few systems folders, refusing you access to any other part of your hard drive. It prevents you from using "wildcards" (such as "*.exe" to represent all files ending in "exe"). It won't let you copy files to removable media such as floppies. And you're always prompted when overwriting each and any file.

Fortunately, a simple tweak that can be performed in under a minute removes all those restrictions and frees up Recovery Console to let you work anywhere on the hard drive, access and use removable media such as floppies, use wildcards to work on large groups of files or folders at once, and skip the overwrite warnings if you so choose.

With this tweak, Recovery Console becomes, in effect, a general-purpose XP DOS, serving much the same function as did DOS boot floppies for earlier versions of Windows. With the Recovery Console's limitations removed, you can then access any file or folder anywhere on your hard drive and run any of the following commands:

ATTRIB
BATCH
BOOTCFG
CD
CHDIR
CHKDSK
CLS
COPY
DEL

DELETE
DIR
DISABLE
DISKPART
ENABLE
EXIT
EXPAND
FIXBOOT
FIXMBR

FORMAT
HELP
LISTSVC
LOGON
MAP
MD
MKDIR
MORE
NET

RD
REN
RENAME
RMDIR
SET
SYSTEMROOT
TYPE

actually, i have never entered the recovery console mode. i don't want to get trapped in there. what if the "exit" command does not work? although i don't intend to make any changes, i would like to observe what is in there.
thanks again, Ed

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

Those look like the same Recovery Console commands that I have access to (without screwing around), take a look:

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Oh, well...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users