Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing Computer & Usb 2.0 Woes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kd7jit

kd7jit

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:26 AM

Hello,

Compuer Specs:
Athlon 3500+
Asus A8V-XE
Nvidia GeForce 7300+
(Paired) 1 GB of Kingston RAM (2 x 512 MB) (Same Kingston Part Number slightly diff design and the actual chips on them are diff one has samsung other kingston mem)
300 w Power suply
XP Pro SP2
500 GB Segate Baracuda 7200 RPM

Recently built a computer (6 weeks ago) and it was initially stable everything worked, until I needed the IDE drive for an enclosure and found out I had a problem with where the boot files where held... Oops...

Reinstalled XP and from then have had issues with on board USB 2.0. XP sees multiple 1.1 controllers spliting the 8 ports into controlers/hubs of 2 ports each - connecting the phsisical ports to these controlers and hubs and also generates an Enhanced Controller and an 8 port Hub (sees as 2.0 but as they are not "linked" to the ports so they are useless.

At this same time computer became unstable after 3+ hours slugish and around 4 would lock up. I assumed it was the USB driver issues (still persisted even after deletting all USB devices in Device Manager and rebooting {Multiple times}) so I reinstalled XP Pro. Same Issue. Reinstalled XP with USB ports disabled in Bios. Booted things worked (but USB)... shut down enabled USB in Bios same issues phantom 2.0 ports and buggy 1.1 ports.

So gave up on USB for now and went to work on the freezing (it had got progressivly worse to 30 sec - 15 min of up time) disabled USB on Bios and opened PC Probe II, found out CPU/Motherboard where getting a little toasty (put computer in old case doesn't have the best ventilation will add 6+" fan to side of case to solve this problem). Still unstable no matter what OS I was running at the time, XP PRo, Ubuntu Live CD etc... Used Memtest86 to check memory no issues reseated memory any way and moved to disable Pairing (see specs section above). Still sligtly unstable so disabled Graphic Acelleration and comb writing. Almost as stable as windows gets now... but still has a few issues... namely graphics slower than tar....

I think I have an under power PSU... Anythoughts on USB/PSU kind people? really would like onboard USB 2.0 back... Have a USB 1.1 PCI card... its stable USB connection... but *shudder* USB 1.1 is barely better than NO USB.

Also Bios reports unstable 3.3V ... Varries from 3 -3.6v.... 5v/12v varry less than .03 up and down....

Some days I just wish I hadn't gotten into computers... and maybe just been lazy and bought a pre-built computer... but where is the fun in that?

So HELP ME, PLEASE! I have had it!

Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:47 AM

I am running a similar computer, with the earlier agp deluxe version of that mobo

your 300 watt power supply is definitely the problem

xpsp2 has great drivers for the usb and those via chipsets

My ram is matched exactly, and it needs to be, I had to set timings manually for it to work right

You have to be careful with the OS load and only load the drivers that device manager shows as needed, the motherboard cd is very dangerous as are the drivers on the web page if you try to force an earlier version on XP.

your power problems with the usb will be aggrevated by having devices plugged into the ports

Edited by DaChew, 12 February 2008 - 01:52 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 kd7jit

kd7jit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:51 AM

dang... oh well simple fix.... for the PSU. Any further thoughts on the USB issues? or have I fired the controller?

Jason

btw love the Avatar :D

#4 kd7jit

kd7jit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:52 AM

How many watts do you recomend? 450?

Thanks for the quick response.

Jason

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:56 AM

I am using a Thermaltake 430 watt power supply with 2 dvd burners and 2 hard drives, I wonder if mine is a little too weak as my 10K rpm western digital raptor has trouble booting every now and then(it's old)

brand is just as important as wattage(maybe more so)
Chewy

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

after you get the power issues sorted if the usb drivers don't work and won't roll back to xp default do a clean install with the ram out of dual channel and timings conservatively set

bad power can cause anything

set bios back to defaults and only make obvious changes like turning off all the extra crap that you never use

bios is dangerous
Chewy

#7 kd7jit

kd7jit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:08 AM

Will defiantly have to upgrade to a good one. I have had it with instability. Reminds me of Win98... oh well. hope the USB comes back to life... and it is is just power starved...

Oh Well Thanks for your wonderful expertise.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:16 AM

I read here somewhere that weak unstable power supplies were one of the leading causes of ram failure

I know you can't overclock or burn dvd's worth a darn either
Chewy

#9 kd7jit

kd7jit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:22 AM

It worked fine for about the first 2 weeks I had it.but then again this PSU had a easy like in an old AMD 1g... that finally croaked about a month before I built this one... Thanks for the image on USB config it it how mine appears.... Darn wonder whats up....

Jason

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

here's my power supply and I consider it borderline

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153023

this is really the heart of the computer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153052

If I wasn't so cheap I would use this one
Chewy

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

A USB 2.0 PCI card...eliminates any worry about/dependence on onboard USB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....on=USB+2.0+card

Louis

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

I agree 100% with Louis's answer. I played around with my USB for 2 weeks. For $8+ ship Problems gone in the time it takes to plug it in
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 kd7jit

kd7jit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:44 AM

Status Update:

Just installed New Power Supply, Thermaltake 500 W one that DaChew Recomended. Everything has comeback to life, USB onboard works fine, my computer is no longer locking up and All Is well. Also ordered a USB 2.0 PCI card... Works much better than on board ever did and better than it works still.

Thanks for all the Great Help ;) I know I will be calling on you again.

Edited by kd7jit, 17 February 2008 - 01:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users