Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet lots slower in past week...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 robert

robert

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:14 PM

Hi -

I just registered at today, after learning of it thru a goodle search. I read some of the basic tutorials (overall helpful) but still need help.

My internet connection is significantly slower in the past week and I don't know why. I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff...but my setup is relatively new...

* verison avenue dsl
* dell inspiron 8600 laptop

... I do try to take precautions:

* I switched to Mozilla in early Jan 05
* I use a firewall, antivirus and pest scanner (all Computer Associates - eTrust EZ Armor, EZ AntiVirus, and Pestpatrol)
* I try to regularly do updates

But I still feel a bit clueless. I did a system scan with the anti-virus software yesterday and it came up with 9 "infected files not cleaned/deleted/renamed" and they each had "trojan" at the end of the name.

Can someone tell me the next step?

many thanks in advance
Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:13 PM

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. I need you to run a program named HijackThis and post a log here for me to look at. Please do the following:
  • Please download the analysis program. Download HijackThis from: HijackThis Download Site. Please read the instructions on the download page and place the unzipped version in its own folder on your C:\ drive.

• Run HijackThis.exe, click on the scan button
    Click on the Save Log button and save the log.
    Notepad will open with a copy of the logfile.
    Right click, select all, right click, select copy.
    Come the this thread use the Add Reply button and right click & paste the contents into the reply box.
    Click the Add Reply button to complete your post.

#3 robert

robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

Hi Penmore, thanks!...Here it is:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:52:12 PM, on 3/10/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\program files\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\1XConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\BacsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
C:\program files\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
c:\program files\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.washingtonpost.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bacstray] BacsTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A920] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] c:\PROGRA~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "c:\program files\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eTrustPPAP] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: ppctlcab - http://www.my-etrust.com/includes/pscanner/ppctlcab.CAB
O16 - DPF: {2FC9A21E-2069-4E47-8235-36318989DB13} (PPSDKActiveXScanner.MainScreen) - http://www.my-etrust.com/includes/pscanner/axscanner.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Sebring - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LgNotify.dll
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - c:\program files\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - c:\program files\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

#4 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:28 AM

Hi Robert,

Let's run the following to ensure that your computer is clean of any Trojans or other malware:
  • Download System Security Suite here:
    System Security Suite Download & Tutorial. Unzip it to your desktop.
    Install the program. Don't use it yet.

• I want you to run three online virus scans as follows:

Perform a full scan here: Trendmicro, check AutoClean and let it remove anything it finds.

Perform a second full scan here: Panda Online, follow the instructions on the screed, make sure these are checked:
    • Disinfect automatically
    • Scan compressed files
    • Scan e-mail files
    • Neutralize Trojans
    Let active scan remove anything it finds.

Perform a third full scan here: BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
    Follow the instructions on the screen.
    Tick all the boxes on the left and let Bitdefender remove anything it finds.

• Please download and run Ad-Aware and SpybotS&D to remove any malware infections on your machine.

Download Spybot and Ad-Aware from the following locations and install them. You should run both programs and clean up what they find. This is to gaurantee that you find the most malware you can installed on your computer.Download both programs from the following locations:Spybot Search and Destroy
    Ad-aware Personal SE
    Before running the scans on both programs, it is mandatory that you update the programs. There are update options in each program when you run them.

If you would like to learn more about how to use these two programs with the proper settings you can read the tutorials below:Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer.

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer.
    When you scan with both programs, fix everything that they find.
[*]Reboot your machine.

[*]Close all windows and browsers that are open.
Clean out Temporary Folders and Temporary Internet Files as follows:
  • Open the System Security Suite that I had you download earlier.
  • In the Items to Clear tab check:
    - Internet Explorer (left pane): Cookies & Temporary files
    - My Computer (right pane): Temporary files & Recycle Bin
Click the Clear Selected Items button.
Close the program.

[*]Reboot your machine, try your Internet connections and see how it is running. Run HijackThis, post a new log here using the Add Reply button and let me know how the Internet connection is performing.
[/list]

#5 robert

robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:13 PM

Hi Penmore -

I did everything you recommended.

The Trendmicro scan revealed 5 viruses and 3 spyware problems; the next two online scans came up empty.

Spybot found 2 problems; Ad-aware found none.

The connection is still slow though... I did notice there are about 50 processes running all the time according to Windows Task Manager - don't know if that means anything.

here's the latest HijackThis log - thanks again for your help:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:52:51 PM, on 3/11/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\1XConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\BacsTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
C:\program files\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe
c:\program files\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
c:\program files\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
C:\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.washingtonpost.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bacstray] BacsTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A920] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] c:\PROGRA~1\ETRUST~1\VetTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "c:\program files\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eTrustPPAP] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust PestPatrol\PPActiveDetection.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: ppctlcab - http://www.my-etrust.com/includes/pscanner/ppctlcab.CAB
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall-beta.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {2FC9A21E-2069-4E47-8235-36318989DB13} (PPSDKActiveXScanner.MainScreen) - http://www.my-etrust.com/includes/pscanner/axscanner.cab
O16 - DPF: {80DD2229-B8E4-4C77-B72F-F22972D723EA} (AvxScanOnline Control) - http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/Msie/bitdefender.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: Sebring - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LgNotify.dll
O23 - Service: CA ISafe (CAISafe) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - c:\program files\eTrust EZ Antivirus\isafe.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - c:\program files\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

#6 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:16 PM

Hi Robert,

You do have a number of processes running that are considered unecessary and others which we would normally recommend for removal for a member suffering with slowness such as you describe. I'm going to give you the HijackThis fix for the ones that I would suggest you remove from the HijackThis log on a permanent basis - please however consider these as optional but take account of what I have said about them when deciding to remove them.

Secondly I will list other entries in your log that are considered as unecessary to run at Startup as they are normally available through the Start >>> Programs menu if you need to run them. Can I suggest that disable these from starting through MSconfig by unticking the box next to the entry. Then in the future if you wish/need to have them running again you can re-tick the box to have them run at machine Startup. You'll find MSconfig as follows: Start >>> Run >>> type msconfig in the Open box and click OK. Choose the Startup tab and scroll down the list, unticking the boxes on the left of the ones you wan to prevent from running at Startup. When you have finished click Apply then OK. You will need to reboot your machine to have them removed from Startup.
  • Run HijackThis
    Click on the Scan button and when complete
    Put a check beside all of the items listed below

This is installed when RealOne is installed and is an application updater. Once installed it runs independently of RealOne Player, and it can be removed, Also you will manually have to disable this Here’s how:
  • Start RealOne Player and click on Tools then Preferences.
  • Select Automatic services in the Categories pane.
  • Then uncheck all options and then click OK.
  • You can manually update RealOne Player after removal.
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background This can be started manually and does not need to run at start-up. If you don't require it to run at start-up then Open Windows Messenger then follow these menu options - Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts.
Close all open Explorer windows and browsers
Click on the "Fix Checked" button
When complete and all files removed, close the application.

[*]Programs that can be prevented from running at Startup.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet Associated with the newer versions of nVidia graphics cards drivers. Allows you to immensely improve desktop layouts by setting preferences and optimizations. However, this isn't necessary for the operation of your system.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe Checks with Sun's Java updates site to see if newer Java versions are available. Visit http://java.sun.com or just run the Java Plug-In Control Panel.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [bacstray] BacsTray.exe Broadcom Advanced Control Suite - for modems and set top boxes based upon Broadcom chipsets. Not required unless you have networking problems.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe System Tray icon for Intel PRO series ethernet adapters giving access to the diagnostic features.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe Dell taskbar icon allowing you to quickly change settings.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime System Tray access to Apple's "Quick Time" viewer from version 5 onwards.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe Part of MusicMatch Jukebox - digital music player / CD burner and ripper / music organizer / playlist creator.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe MusicMatch Jukebox icon in the task tray - digital music player / CD burner and ripper / music organizer / playlist creator.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe Download manager for Dell support alerts.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A920] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe" Dell AIO Printer A*** related (*** = model). Not Required at Startup.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe" A process belonging to the Cyberlink PowerCinema video viewing software which allows you to play DVDs upon insertion. Non-essential process - and is installed for ease of use.

You also have TeaTimer and eTrust PestPatrol running. I'm unsure if these two will conflict with each other but let's try the other things first before we remove one of them.

[*]Once you have prevented the programs of your choice from running at Startup, reboot your machine, test the Internet connection and report back here using the Add Reply button letting me know about the performance.
[/list]Peter

#7 robert

robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:38 PM

hey peter -

Thank you! things are back up to normal speed. At first after doing all your suggestions it still seemed slow, esp on hotmail service. I failed to mention that there are two user accounts on this computer -- me and my girlfriend -- so I followed your instructions for her account as well: I ran the computer scans and spybot & adaware programs from her account and picked up about 20-odd malwares (mostly tracking cookies); then I did the System Security Suite from her account; then I cleared out the cache and cookies from the mozilla browsers in both accounts. It seemed to help somewhat

The internet connection still seemed slow...and I was curious about the processes in the task manager, so I got a link from this site to www.answersthatwork.com and read about the task list programs. I went through what was on my task manager -- most all were ones to leave alone -- but there were two I changed from automatic to manual and two from automatic to disable. I was beat afterwards so went to bed.

This morning when I rebooted it feels like new again. In the end I don't know if it's something I(we) did or maybe my DSL service had something wrong that they fixed (I called them from the start -- before writing you -- and they didn't detect any problems), but the result is my normal speed is back and I feel like the computer is safer and that I'm more comfortable with it. Thanks again. If you have any final words/advice on the situation, I'd be happy to hear it.

Robert

#8 robert

robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:47 PM

ps -

I put my money where my mouth is and made a small donation -- well worth it.

#9 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:49 PM

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your kind remarks and donation. I'm really pleased that you have your Internet speed back. I'ts always difficult to tell exactly what was the culprit but at least one way or the other we've succeeded. I have included information below that will help protect your machine in the future.

I know you have some of the prevention/removal software already installed however, I have itemized below my full list of prevention and removal measures that will best ensure that your machine stays clean.

Please take the time to review the list and implement any of the software or settings that you don't have already.
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and reenable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point. You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:Renable system restore with instructions from tutorial above.

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.
    See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources
  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.
    For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:Understanding and Using Firewalls
  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit Windows Update Site regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.
    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers
  • Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.
    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer
  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.
    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware
  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

#10 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

Since your problem appears to be resolved, this thread will now be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please contact a member of the HJT Team and we will reopen it for you. Include the URL address of this thread in your request. If you should have a new issue, please start a new topic. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users