Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop Connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

I am trying to connect to another computer in my network using remote desktop connection. I open remote desktop connection. I click on the drop box, select browse for more and click on my workgroup and it says that it does not contain any terminal servers. I think I need to configure my other computer to be a terminal server but not sure. What do I need to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:34 AM

Well for starters you can only connect to a remote computer using RDC if it is running XP Pro or Vista (except Home Basic\Premium) at the moment I'm having the same struggle looking for a remote desktop program.
Are you wanting to take control of the remote computer or share it (2 or more users)?

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

Well for starters you can only connect to a remote computer using RDC if it is running XP Pro or Vista (except Home Basic\Premium)

I think this is where I am confused. I have XP Home edition and Vista Home Premium. But I can get the dialog box to try to connect. I figured if I was getting to that point then I could do it. But maybe I can just connect to another computer but not be the computer being connected too.

I used logmein(I think that is what it is called). It just seemed like a long way to connect to a computer in another room.

#4 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

But I can get the dialog box to try to connect. I figured if I was getting to that point then I could do it. But maybe I can just connect to another computer but not be the computer being connected too

You are correct, the home versions only come with the "client"part of RDP which allows you to connect to other computers. You must have XP Pro, or Vista Buisness/ultimate to be the server or host computer.

I have used logmein.com and I really like it because I can have all of my computers there on one page when I login to the website and connect to which ever one I want regardless of the OS I am using. I would be hesitant to use it with any sensitive information because you are using a 3rd party but thus far I have not heard any bad things about it.

There is also another free option I have used before called VNC. VNC is an open source RDP program that works pretty well. You might try it out also.

http://www.realvnc.com/

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

In my opinion, you do not need any Remote Desktop thing. Just plain Windows File sharing should do the job. Remote deskto is for when you go across the LANs. As I understand this thread is about computers on the same LAN.

It requires different IP addresses for each computer, the same WORKGROUP name on all the computers, and oftern NetBIOS under TCP/IP though I'm not 100% it's required so long as all computers are XP or higher. You do need to permit file sharing on every computer, and that's required for every folder you want to share. Also in XP-home, the access is via GUEST account, while on others it might require a password.

#6 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

My desktop has the majority of my music and is connected to my multiroom music in my house. What I was trying to do is to control it so I could select the songs I was listening to throughout the house with my laptop. I figured at some point I might expand on that when I became more familiar with using the RDC. I already share files and printers between the to PC's. It just did not make much sense to connect outside of my network for this.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:15 AM

Soooo...what's wrong with just adding your laptop to the home network? That seems simple enough to me.

Re the comment about NetBIOS...I think the use of this depends on the connection/NIC more than XP. I have XP on both of my systems but the network won't function properly without that protocol being enabled on both systems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users