Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could This Be Bad Ram?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

Hi there I have been having problems clocking my pc to the proper speed here is where I think I am having some problems....

Posted Image

I have 2, 2sided 128 sticks of ram and 1, 1sided..... (not duo) and this one stick is showing one side at 100 and the other at 133...... is this something that would not let me clock my chip at 133, 10x like it should be?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

cpu-z just showing you the spd(small chip up at the corner) timings for running that stick at 133 and at 100 Mghz
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

Dachew is correct about the SPD but what do you mean 133, 10x?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

Well the chip that I am using supports FSB 133 Mghz with a multiplier of 10. In my other post that Dachew has been so helpful with.... I have been trying to set it right and if I change the FSB to 133 and with a multiplier of 10, which my AMD 1500+ should run at, it will not boot into windows. I get a error of <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing and please re-install a copy of the above file.

I thouhgt maybe this ram setting might be a couse of it...... ( I am a newbee at clocking and I have a computer that I can learn on that I have here so I am learning)

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

well I have checked and rechecked your posts and wiki and you have a palomino xp 133 x 10 cpu, the dead giveaway is the full SSE instruction set

you need to manually adjust your ram to the spd settings in bios

have you reseated the hsf on the cpu?
Chewy

#6 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

That is a negitive on the reseating of the hsf.... I have not yet gotten to a store for the thermal paste (I am planning on doing this this weekend).

Where in the bios do I find the settings for the ram, or should I try to pull the ram and clean the contacts on the ram and reseat it to see if that changes anything first.

By the way when I was searching the AMD chip, it said that the operating temp is up to 90 degrees, should I be worried about the 53 or so degrees that is running at now?????

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

I never liked anything in the mid 50's, seemed glitchy, my links say 90C for redline on the palimino, but that's die temp?

durn my desktop is full of manuals and my head runneth over with who's mobo is doing what?

wookie's are bad organizers

edit

Edited by DaChew, 13 February 2008 - 09:01 PM.

Chewy

#8 graeme22

graeme22

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

both will have 2 run at 100 not 133 ... as for 53 d its ok should not crash at that , but id add extra fans any thing under 45 is cool lol

#9 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

Well I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me..... I have spent alot of time reading things on the net about setting ram, but I have not seen anything about changing the settings for just one slot on the board. I am only having this problem with this one stick of ram (could it be just bad) and I think it is causing problems with the cpu speeds.

I have checked in the bios and it is saying that I have a multiplier of 10 and right now running at 100 Mghz. if I pull the jumper to change it to 133 Mghz than the computer will not boot up. I get a single beep in post but usually I get a error message or it will not boot up at all. I started playing with some of the settings in the bios tonight like changing the DIMM/PCI speed auto detect (or something like that) to disable and I started finding that my keyboard utilities would not boot and when I brought up CUPID it did not even show ram in slot 3??????

I think I just might leave it alone and worry bout it another time or if I have nothing else to do on a Sat.

Dachew>>>>> do you ever leave this site you are always here...... just jokin'with ya....... thanx for all the help and if I have any other probs I hope you and the other guys are here to help......

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

A single short post beep usually means passing post. However a single long beep means a memory failure.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

Well as far as the beep..... it is pretty short (less than a second) so I donot think that it is a memory fault beep......

I am just going to do somemore research and see if I can come up with something.... If I can find some more ram I might just swap it out and see what it will do.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users