Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Routers?!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

OK I have a problem that I bet no one could fix.
Recently when i connect the wireless router to the cable modem, not only does the router not send out any signal, but the few and short times it does my computer says "limited or no connectivity." I have tried a second router and it does the same thing, the wireless signal light on it does NOT light up. I have tried reseting the routers, reseting the cable modem, different ethernet cords, nothing works. THE cable modem has to be working because when I connect it directly to my computer, no problems. Two routers with the same problem?! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO?
This problem effects all the computers that use the network, so I am pretty confident that problem lies within the routers themselves and not the computers.

PS MY ANNOYING ROOMMATE HOGS THE INTERNET, HE DIRECTLY CONNECTS HIS LAPTOP AND DOES NOT GET OFF FOR 4-6 HOURS AT A TIME. SO SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

Edited by ShinAkuma, 11 February 2008 - 08:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

Sounds to me like there is a problem with your wireless card, not the routers. What happens if you hook your computer directly to the router?

#3 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

If I hook it directly it works fine. Something is going wrong when i hook the cable modem up to the wireless router. It can't be my wireless card because there are four other people in the house with laptops and they all cannot connect. My wireless router is not even showing up on the wireless networks when my computer searches. I noticed however in both routers that after i reset them the wireless light WILL light up for about half a second, and then it goes out. I dont know if that tells you guys something, but its an observation.
I do not understand why a wireless router would not be able to send a wireless signal? shouldnt that be automatic?

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

is there somehow a way someone got into the router and stuck some encryption on it?

Although, like he said, its more likely something wrong with your cards.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

All of our wireless cards stopped working at the same time? Somehow our wireless cards detect other wireless networks in the neighborhood and are preventing our wireless router from sending out a signal? That just seems illogical.
Also if someone was to put an encryption (which is possible since we never had our routers password protected) wouldn't reseting them clear that encryption?
I just don't get it. I plug in the routers, power light comes on. Plug in the ethernet cord and the internet activity light flickers (showing activity) BUT the problem we are at is the wireless light refuses to light up. If i press reset, it flickers on for approx. 1 second and then will no longer go on.
:thumbsup:
Also if this information helps intially when I hooked up the second router the internet worked fine. I used it, left the house for a couple of hours, and when i came back my roommate said it was not working and had his laptop hooked up directly. So at one point both these routers were working

Edited by ShinAkuma, 11 February 2008 - 10:47 PM.

#6 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:47 AM

what are they plugged in to? I mean, like a modem, or what?

Do they appear as secure networks? Did you set them up yourself?

When you're hooked up to the router via cable, check your default gateway under the connection, and then type that number(usually 192.168.2.1, or something like that. ) into your internet browser's address bar. It should take you to the router home page, where you can look through things. Hopefully you can find something that might help you there. Just don't change anything you're completely not sure what it is.

Usually completely re-setting the router helps(unless you have encryption), which is done by holding the reset button down for like... 10-15 seconds.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#7 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

When we use the router it is typically plugged into the cable modem only. There is no direct computer connection.

Do they appear as secure networks? Did you set them up yourself?

When they work they are not secure networks, like i said we never had them password protected. No, I did not set them up myselfs all I usually did was plug the power cord in, then plug the ethernet cord in and it worked.

When you're hooked up to the router via cable, check your default gateway under the connection, and then type that number(usually 192.168.2.1, or something like that. ) into your internet browser's address bar. It should take you to the router home page, where you can look through things. Hopefully you can find something that might help you there. Just don't change anything you're completely not sure what it is.

I think the router needs to be sending out a wireless signal for you to do that. Which is impossible because that is my problem, it doesn't send out a wireless signal.

Usually completely re-setting the router helps(unless you have encryption), which is done by holding the reset button down for like... 10-15 seconds.

I mentioned earlier that I had already tried to reset the router by holding down the reset button. It does not work. It will reset and the wireless light will flicker for half a second and then nothing.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

Well, this is easy to fix....
1) Nobody can connect wirelessly.
2)I still don't know what happens when one connects directly to the router, which I had asked in the first place. You said that people can connect when hooked directly to the modem. Since the router and the modem are two different things, I guess that didn't really answer my question then. Since it is quite possible for both routers to have problems, this would have at least eliminated the routers as a problem. So we have to guess.
3)You have not mentioned how your configuration is set up in the router, so again we have to guess.
4) The wireless light on most routers does not light up unless there is a wireless connections established, the same way that the internet light doesn't light up unless there is a connection to the internet. The light being off tells us that you indeed do not have a wireless connection to the modem.

The conclusion are this:
1)Both routers are bad
2)The default configurations on the router are wrong.
3)Someone put a wireless jammer in you house.
4)Your modem's firmware automatically updated, and it no longer likes your routers.

The number of reasons that this could be failing is very limited. The common point of failure is the routers, so either the routers are bad, or they are not configured to be visible or accept connections. That's all it can be.

#9 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:46 PM

Well i mentioned that all i previously did was plug in the router to the power cord and to the modem, and it worked. I never actually configured the thing. So lets eliminate that as a problem. What steps should i take to make sure the routers are configured properly?

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:57 PM

You are going to have to find your owners manual for that because all routers are different. You will use your browser to open the router configuration screen. Most of the time routers have wireless enabled by default, so I wouldn't think that would be the problem. You never know though.

#11 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

Just throwing this into the mix:
Is it possible that there is a radio interference problem? You could try changing the default channel to something else, and moving anything like cordless phones, tv's etc. away from the router.
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifihom...wifichannel.htm

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

ShinAkuma,

You originally provided very little information. So let's play the twenty-questions game to this connection issue which groovicus addressed,

"3)You have not mentioned how your configuration is set up in the router, so again we have to guess."

and Vaerli did as well

... Do they appear as secure networks? Did you set them up yourself?
... When you're hooked up to the router via cable, check your default gateway

1. What router, make, model?
2. What ISP, dialup, cable, DSL, FIOS?
3. What computer?
4. What Windows system?
5. Is the router allowing SSID at the time you attempt to create a connection?
6. Are the settings in the router matched by the Windows TCP/IP settings?
7. Are you trying to setup the router while in wireless mode? Good routers won't allow it, you need to be wired to build the connection in Windows.
8. Is your WEP or WPA key or password entered in Windows?
9. Is your computer wireless card enabled when you try or is it shut off?
10. Do you have a firewall (other than the Windows firewall) that might be blocking things? If so, are you allowing DHCP, DNS IP addresses to be safe? If you don't know what these are, lookup on wikipedia, please.
11. Is your LAN IP address different than that your roommate has?
12. Is your ISP permitting more than one connection?
13. Does the output from cmd > ipconfig /all make sense?
14. Is the cable modem shared by roommate and you and the router?
15. Have you disabled DHCP on that modem before adding the router, clearly, DHCP is not working for you. The modem should be just a pass-through thing or translate the DSL or cable signals.
16. What different is the roommate doing? what do you mean "he directly..." in your original post? Is he succesful doing wireless connection or is he wired?
17. Is the roommate connecting directly to the router or that modem?
18. When you change things in the router or modem do you follow the sequence of turning off (pc, router, modem) and powering up (modem, wait, router, wait, pc)?
19. Did you read the router instructions how to setup wireless?
20. Did you read Windows instructions how to setup a new network connection parameters?

The chances of two routers going bad at the same time are rather slim.

jhsmurray, good point. But I have a hunch the setup is wrong. He's not communicating with the DHCP server (router or ISP), and/or loosing connection with the ISP DNS servers, and the roommate is not dropping those connections, I think.

Well, that's all the questions I can think of. Some answers might help diagnose the issue :thumbsup:

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

@tos226

Thank You! Now that is how one goes about troubleshooting a wireless issue... I can't think of any other questions.

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

return the router to factory default settings

call your isp and have them set your modem up

learn to surf into the router while it's disconnected from the modem and you are connected by wire(ethernet)

make sure no computer is connected by usb to the modem
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:00 AM

I am not a computer or network geek so I dont know what a lot of the answers to these questions are, hence the reason why I am posting looking for help. However i will try my best

1. What router, make, model? First one is a D-link Second one is a Netgear
2. What ISP, dialup, cable, DSL, FIOS? Comcast Cable
3. What computer? 2 compaq laptops 1 desktop and a gateway laptop
4. What Windows system? they are all running windows XP pro
5. Is the router allowing SSID at the time you attempt to create a connection? ????
6. Are the settings in the router matched by the Windows TCP/IP settings? ?????
7. Are you trying to setup the router while in wireless mode? Good routers won't allow it, you need to be wired to build the connection in Windows. I guess the answer is yes. I have never had the router directly wired to a computer when i hook them up
8. Is your WEP or WPA key or password entered in Windows? Routers are not password protected
9. Is your computer wireless card enabled when you try or is it shut off? They are all enabled
10. Do you have a firewall (other than the Windows firewall) that might be blocking things? If so, are you allowing DHCP, DNS IP addresses to be safe? I do have a firewall on the desktop but the laptops do not. If you don't know what these are, lookup on wikipedia, please.
11. Is your LAN IP address different than that your roommate has? I dont know how to find out
12. Is your ISP permitting more than one connection? For about a year the routers worked and it allowed many connections
13. Does the output from cmd > ipconfig /all make sense? ????
14. Is the cable modem shared by roommate and you and the router? Yes there is one modem for the house to which the router is connected
15. Have you disabled DHCP on that modem before adding the router, clearly, DHCP is not working for you. The modem should be just a pass-through thing or translate the DSL or cable signals. I dont think that i disabled DHCP, I have never played around with the modem
16. What different is the roommate doing? what do you mean "he directly..." in your original post? Is he succesful doing wireless connection or is he wired? I meant that he CANNOt connect through wireless either, he connects his laptop straight to the cable modem so I guess you would say he is wired
17. Is the roommate connecting directly to the router or that modem? Modem
18. When you change things in the router or modem do you follow the sequence of turning off (pc, router, modem) and powering up (modem, wait, router, wait, pc)? Typically that is how i do it
19. Did you read the router instructions how to setup wireless? No I just plugged it in
20. Did you read Windows instructions how to setup a new network connection parameters? No

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users