Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Perform System Restore W/home Premium

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

I have a brand-new HP A6142nb machine that came pre-installed with Vista Home Premium.

I'm trying to start off right by making sure things work - so today I tried to test the System Restore features by setting a restore point, then adding an application (Spybot S&D) and changing items in the System Tray (to not show Caps/Num/Scroll lock icons).

Setting the restore point worked successfully. Making the modifications worked successfully. Then....when I did a System Restore to the point prior to making the changes, it all seemed to go fine, except that nothing changed, i.e. the new app was still there. So, I chose a restore point a couple of hours prior to my manual one, that the system had made itself, in case that made it happier. Same thing.

I searched the forums here, and saw the comment about disabling Norton products (which also came pre-installed as a trial), but got the same results with it off, using both my manual restore point and the system-made one. (I did find a doc on the Symantec site that said Norton 2008 was a problem: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/norto...07111001134679)

The one difference I've seen in how mine worked versus the tutorial I've read here is that I never got any error messages, nor did I get the screen showing "restore successful" when I logged back in again. It simply said it was restoring, and rebooted, and all the screens looked the same as the tutorial up to the reboot.

Now I'm not sure what to try next. I don't want to start adding anything else or making changes until I know I can "undo" things....and I've reached and/or exceeded my level of technical expertise. Have I missed something? It seemed pretty idiot-proof - at least I thought so before I tried it. :huh:

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:44 AM

I'd suggest browsing this site on Vista System Restore: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/vista.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

John

Thank you for the reply. I've read the document that you suggested - but I'm unfortunately still befuddled. Can you maybe help me to understand this better?

Am I correct in what I'm expecting the results to be when I set a Restore Point and then make a change (like add a program) and then tell it to restore back to the pre-install point? I guess I'm thinking that the computer should appear as if the change was never made. Is that right? Is this the best way to test to make sure that this feature is working as it should?

This article you pointed me to says that "When you right-click a file or folder, you now see a Previous Versions tab that lets you copy any of the stored previous versions or restore the item to any of the prior states" but I haven't seen the Previous Versions tab anywhere -- but I hadn't looked for it either. Is this what I should be looking for instead of performing the Restore Point/System Restore in order to "undo" changes? For instance, if I added files to the C: drive that I wanted to "undo" (which I guess is a bad example since I could simply delete them but I can't think of a good example right now), instead of "restoring" from a previous Restore Point, should I just be able to right click on the C: directory and see a Previous Versions tab and select a restore point from there?

I'm sorry to be so dense about this....but I'm just not understanding something about the "undo" functions and how (or if) I can test it out to make sure it works before I make changes. I'm not sure if my problem is in my understanding, or my expectations, or in my testing, or all of the above. I can't believe that I'm actually looking forward to going to the dentist this morning instead of continuing to set up my new computer - but it's true! :huh: On the other hand, I have to get this thing working.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

Vista changed, fundamentally, the way that System Restore works (from what I've read). And, I was never very good with it before Vista.

From what I can see, it requires a bit of experimentation to see what it can do for you. I, personally, don't use it. Bert Kinney is the most knowledgeable person that I know (outside of the team at Microsoft - who I don't know) when it comes to System Restore.

As for checking for errors, the best place to look is in your Event Viewer. Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the Windows log category you'll have to look in both the Application and System log files in order to see any errors that may crop up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reply, and the info on how to look at the events.

May I ask what you use for an "undo" if not System Restore? I have a Seagate external drive (I think that's the term for it) that I use for backing up my personal files and .pst files and such, but I thought I needed System Restore to work in case I downloaded an application that toasted my system or something like that (which I've been reading is easy to do in Vista). Would you suggest that I just do a full backup of the system to an external drive first? Or is there a better way to cover my backside for things like this?

Sorry to be such a dunderhead - I don't know how they think us "common folk" can keep dealing with all these system changes when we're just trying to get a computer running to use it for simple home use. :huh:

P.S. I like your signature - I'm about ready for the heavy explosives about now! :huh:

Emma

#6 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

SHEESH!!!!! I'm tearing my hair out because I can't get this @($&!@#)*% thing to work, and it appears that it's been working all along - I just didn't know what to expect. So, in case there's anyone else like me out there....here's the deal...

I was expecting that if I had a Programs directory that showed
APPLICATION A
APPLICATION B
APPLICATION C
and I then created a checkpoint and added APPLICATION D, then did a restore back to that checkpoint, I'd see
APPLICATION A
APPLICATION B
APPLICATION C
and no trace of APPLICATION D. What ACTUALLY happens is that the restore goes through and picks out all the executable portions of the application, and leaves everything else there. I'm assuming that it also selectively picks things out of the registry, etc., as well (registry issues are wayyy beyond my comfort zone).

Anyway, since I was going back into the Programs directory and seeing APPLICATION D, I thought it wasn't actually restoring back to the selected Restore Point. Silly me - I assumed that falling back to a previous point in time would make it look like it did at THAT point in time - not look sort of like it did before the checkpoint and sort of like it did afterwards by having only specific pieces picked out.

But, right now I'm just happy to find that it will probably do what I need it to do if I end up with issues, so you can go ahead and close this "problem" and chalk it up to an inexperienced user on a non-intuitive system.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

And that's why I don't use System Restore! :huh: It's just too durned confusing for me! I'd almost gotten a handle on System Restore in XP and even figured out how to add/remove stuff from being included in it - then they went and changed it on me! ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! :huh:

What I use is the basic troubleshooting stuff that you see here on the forums (actually had an issue with cut 'n paste when I posted last - a reboot fixed it). And, if it's too much trouble to fix, then I start using the repair tools. If that doesn't work, then I whip out the copy of Acronis and restore to my last good image.

Luckily I keep my data on a separate drive - so when I restore the image it's like nothing has changed. I've also got 3 virtual machines loaded on my system - and they take a lot of my experimentation (Server 2003, Vista Ultimate 32 bit, XPPro).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users