Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ps, Motherboard, Cpu, ? Dead Computer, Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CycleGeek

CycleGeek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:02 PM

I have a medion computer with a micro-star mother board

Pentium 3 I think, not sure.

running XP sp2

I turned it off when a storm was coming. After the storm the fans all came on when the rear power

switch was turned on, before I even pushed the button in the front (normal turn on button).

Nothing would come up on the screen and the lights on the keyboard flashed to the time of the noise the

fans were making. I checked the power with a mutimeter to the hard drives, and it had power. I don't

recall seeing any lights on the motherboard. (I had to take it apart to get the one I'm on now going)

I had two hooked up to a "netgear" router? and the second computer worked (until a virus killed it, or

maybe just running ME did it in?) normally. I don't know if it matters , but my DSL was out for several

hours after the storm. The hard drives all work as I have had them in spare computers since.

I just don't know , motherboard? power supply? CPU? I'm lost.

I read several pages of posts , but I couldn't find a problem the same as mine.

I don't want to just start guessing and buying parts if someone here might be able to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

Since you have a computer that does work I would try the power supply first. If the computers are the same processor type you can try swapping the parts out and see which one is bad.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users