Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start Up.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geoguroo7

geoguroo7

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

I just built a PC, Micro-ATX Board and PSU. I press the power button, and the fans make about a quarter rotation, then stop. If I hold the power button down, it just does a few quarter rotations.

According to Newegg's power supply calculator, I need 269W PSU, I have a 380W.

E6750 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo
2GB of RAM
380W PSU
500GB SATA HDD

Could this have something to do with the grounding pins?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Danny.

Edited by geoguroo7, 11 February 2008 - 06:51 PM.

"Good, Fast, Cheap... pick two..."
-- unknown, 8,000 B.C.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

I am sure were all posting at the same time but.. We need the model numbers to check compatibility.
Make sure your not grounding your Motherboard out on the case. Make sure all the standoffs are in the correct place. Make sure you have connected all of the power connections to the motherboard. The 24 pin main harness and the 4/8 pin CPU power connector.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 February 2008 - 06:54 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 geoguroo7

geoguroo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813128078 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16822136178 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16819115029 CPU
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16820141300 Memory
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16811190072 Case / PSU
About the case, it says 400W PSU on the site, but on the PSU, it says 380W Max Output.

And what do you mean by standoffs and making sure about the grounding the motherboard out on the case?

The MB came with the plate, I put that in the case, I then put the motherboard in the case, and it just happened that those little metal tabs were touching. I'm not sure If I'm supposed to bend them in any way or what?

Thanks.
-- unknown, 8,000 B.C.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:17 PM

The plate the motherboard came with is the I/O plate where all the external connections are made. What I am referring to is where you screw the motherboard to the case. The case should have standoffs either copper ones that screw in or ones that are molded to the case. Make sure that nothing is touching the bottom of the motherboard other than where the screw wholes are. As for the metal tabs that you mentioned the little ones that surround the holes are fine. There may be one that is near the Ethernet adapter and the USB adapter these should rest on top of the respective ports.

Edit: Everything looks compatible.. Ran Spell checker

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 February 2008 - 07:18 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:51 PM

The MB came with the plate, I put that in the case, I then put the motherboard in the case, and it just happened that those little metal tabs were touching. I'm not sure If I'm supposed to bend them in any way or what?
Thanks.

They're supposed to touch, don't bend them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 geoguroo7

geoguroo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:24 AM

Alright, Interesting enough, I simply replaced one of the screws, and it fires up now.

With every closed door another opens, I guess this works in reverse, because now I'm stuck again.

I turn it on, and the fans spin up fine, However, nothing happens on the monitor. The light on the front stays that cruel amber colour. I've tried both an x16 gfx card, and the on board video. I'm positive that the monitor works fine. When I unplug it, it says "No Signal". I've also tried a new HDD, and a HDD with Ubuntu installed. I also tried it with the Ubuntu installation disk, and without.

Thanks again,
Danny
-- unknown, 8,000 B.C.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:31 AM

Alright, Interesting enough, I simply replaced one of the screws, and it fires up now.

If you meant you moved the screw to a different mounting hole,either your board is awfully close to the metal mounting plate, or the hole you used wasn't designed as a mounting hole because something was grounding out. Sometimes you have to make sure sloppy solder traces on the board's bottom aren't touching the stand-off. Be careful, you can damage the CPU. You are using the brass stand-offs correct?
They look like this. When you plugged in the graphics card did you remember to plug in the power connector on the card? Make sure the card is seated firmly
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

You could try removing the motherboard from the case and connecting the power supply connections, along with the CPU, Memory, Video. See if you can get the computer to POST IE: Get something on the screen, start loading windows, or tell you there is no Operating system.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 February 2008 - 05:11 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 geoguroo7

geoguroo7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

Alright, bad news...

I just plugged in my PSU, CPU, and RAM. I turned it on, and the monitor light stayed orange. I unplugged, it went to green, plugged back in, and back to amber. I'm working on tracking down a speaker...

I fear this is a bad mb...
-- unknown, 8,000 B.C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users