Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Dual Boot Xp And Vista

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Oortam

Oortam

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

I put together a new pc and with a new hard drive transferred my old xp files to the xp installation on the new drive. I'd set up 3 partitions on the new drive to allow me to install XP, vista and a data partition. After I sorted out the xp installation I installed vista following the instructions here http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista, and after a few hiccups I had vista installed. The problem is, if I boot (with the boot order, cd/dvd then hard drive) with the vista dvd in the dvd drive, I choose not to boot from the dvd and I get to the boot manager screen and can choose which O/S I boot from. If I boot straight from the hard drive the system boots straight into XP and I don't get the option of the O/S. Does anybody know how I can fix this to get the choice of O/S before it boots into it?
Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

Hi there Oortam, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Try calling up the boot manager manually by tapping the F8 key during the startup sequence (that is after the POST, but before Windows loads).

#3 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

Are you using EasyBCD?

Try this:
1. Insert Vista DVD and boot to installer.
2. Select your language, then choose "Repair Your Computer."
3. Repair the startup. When it reboots, remove the disc from the drive and it should automatically boot into Vista.
4. Install EasyBCD and continue instructions on that page you first posted, at "XP & Vista - Boot Menu"

#4 Oortam

Oortam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:31 AM

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies, sorry it's taken a few days to get back, I work away from home and I'm just back. I have until Wednesday and then I'll be away for 5 weeks so I want to get this put to bed before then if possible. I tried pressing F8 into the boot menu. That allowed me to decide what device to boot from, if I chose the hard drive with XP and vista installed on it - it just boots straight into XP. If I choose the DVD drive with the Vista disk in it I get the choice to boot from the DVD or if I wait it takes me to the boot manager screen where I can choose between booting from XP or VIsta. If I choose to boot from the DVD drive with the Vista disk in I get the installation screen, with no repair option. I I do boot into Vista using the above method It all works fine. If I boot into XP that too works fine. Both O/S's are installed and working correctly, it just doesn't want to bring up the boot manager screen with choice of O/S unless I first have the option of booting from the DVD drive. Is this a timing issue? Is it to do with the delay introduced by first trying to boot from the DVD? Another choice may be to copy the vista disk, use the copy during everyday booting(and keep the original safe) but will I be able to copy the disk succesfully?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:01 AM

Post a copy of your current boot.ini file, please. You can just open it, copy the contents and paste them into your reply:

Example:
[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Louis

#6 Oortam

Oortam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:36 AM

Hi Lois,
Here's my boot.ini file from the root of my XP drive

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Tam

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

Try running Startup Repair with your Vista DVD: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Oortam

Oortam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

Tried the repair option. After going through the process I still have the same result, the only way to boot into vista is with a bootable disk in the drive and then allow it to boot from the hard disk. Otherwise boots straight into XP.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hmmm...I would have just tried to edit the XP boot.ini file (add the Vista data), but I don't know anything at all about Vista (and John is a lot more knowledgeable than I am).

FWIW: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791568.aspx

Might as well ask this now: You did install XP first, then Vista?

Louis

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:26 PM

You may want to look at VistaBootPro, a free boot loader editor for Vista that can run from XP: http://www.vistabootpro.org/

#11 Oortam

Oortam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:30 AM

Hi louis,

You could be on the right track. I did install xp first as I had heard that it's easier(!) to get a dual boot system if you go that way. I've had a look at the link you included about editing the boot.ini file and it seems to me that if I include a line pointing to the vista installation that may be the answer. I'll play with it and let you know. Unfortunately this may take a while as I'm leaving today to join a ship (work) and won't be back for 5 weeks, so be patient and I will let you all know how I get on.

Andrew,

I've downloaded the boot loader editor but I don't know how useful this will be. I already have easybcd and used that to "fix" the vista boot sequence but the problem is I never get to that sequence unless I have a bootable disk in the DVD drive and then allow the system to boot from the hard disk.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Tam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users