Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems in continuing logged ; Browsing from Opera 7.54 u2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 yogivarun

yogivarun

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 10 March 2005 - 10:18 AM

Hi Everyone ,

I am on a WIN ME system( build 4.90.3000 ) and usually use Opera 7.54 u2 (do have IE 6.0.2800.1106 duly updated also) with McAfee AV 8.0 ,Kerio PFW 2.1.5 and using Proxomitron 4.5j - a HTTP local Proxy.

My problem is in continuing to remain logged on the forum site from Opera.I log in all right than as soon as I shift to a new page or jump forums , I become a 'guest'.Besides being irritating this is highly inconvenient.

I have enabled 'cookies' on Preferences > Privacy , put in 'bleepingcomputer' on the Cookie Server Manager - enabled all four options there and even tried enabling them in various combinations but to no avail.I am being forced to use IE for the forum thereby leading to interminable delays.

Can any Opera user help.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever Life takes away from you, let it go.

When you surrender and let go of the past,

you allow yourself to live in the moment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

What happens if you remove proximitron from the picture..do you stil have the problem?

#3 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:58 PM

Hi Grinler,

I dont think this would make any difference since the IE is also thru PROX and access with this is absolutely fine except , ofcourse , the delay part.

:thumbsup:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:16 PM

Ok i just installed opera. What settings are you running with under the privacy section,.

#5 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:54 AM

Hi Grinler ,

My current settings for PRIVACY are as follows :

1. Enabled : referrer logging , automatic redirection ; Disabled - cookie usage to trace password protected pages

2. Enabled Cookies ;
Normal Cookies-treat as spefied in server manager ;
Third Party Cookies-accept only cookies set to server

3. Under Server Manager - included bleepingcomputer.com ( this farther breaks down to : forum_read , member_id
and pass_hash)

4. Under Server Properties for BC : disabled-default use and enabled the other four

5. Enabled -delete new cookies when exiting opera,accept cookies with incorrect path and warn about incorrect cookie path ; Disabled-warn me about incorrect cookie domains

I realize how busy you are and truly appreciate your being concerned enough to install a fresh program for my sake.Heartfelt Thanks.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 03:20 PM

For whatever reason , Opera sees BC as a third party cookie which is what is causing your problem. When you set it to accept third party cookies it works.

#7 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 08:21 AM

Hi Grinler,

This is the only thing I had not tried.

For the last 15 mins i am on the forum , with only once being 'thrown' out but subsequently being allowed 'in'. I think this does appear to be the solution .

However , you will agree that this IS unusual since even earlier i had allowed third party cookies- restricting only to those set to the server itself.But if I can access only after allowing ALL third party cookies then either something wrong with opera or it may be a good idea to check the cookie setting at the forum end.

Anyway,thanks once again for the solution.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

Yes it is strange, but when i look at my cookies it shows it coming from bleepingcomputer.com/ which is the right domain. So not really sure whats going on. You are connecting to bleepingcomputer.com and not .biz, .org, .net etc right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users