Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Very Slow To Start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sharjohn

sharjohn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

I have Windows XP Media Center, a ton of memory and lots of hard drive space. I have a number of programs which run at start up and most start very quickly. The last two to start are the firewall and wireless networking. Those two seem to take over 3 minutes to get up and running. Once the wireless needworking starts up, the firewall starts shortly thereafter. I have updated all programs including Windows so it is not an outdated driver, etc. I have scanned for virus's, spyware, etc and it is coming up clean. I even did a Hijack This and I have sent that out to be reviewed.

My question is how do I troubleshoot this? The firewall is Sunbelt Personal Firewall (the old Keiro). I got no help from Sunbelt, they responded that they can not make the icons appear any faster.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

I also use Kerio Free...and that's just the way it is on my system...somewhere in the vicinity of 3 minutes before I can actively access anything.

I don't mind, since I don't speedtest my use of my computer...I never have understood those who want 30-second boot times :thumbsup:, but who don't care how sluggishly the system itself performs (because of malware and lack of maintenance) once it boots.

If the Kerio firewall makes you unhappy, it's not the only one available for free and which is effective. You might Comodo, ZA, etc. and see if they make you happier.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users