Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused About Removing Norton

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tryingtolearn

tryingtolearn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

I went to the Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and there is a warning:

'The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed.'

I did a search files and folders and found winfax.dll. I clicked on it and got a 'Caution: ...These files are used by he operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system.'

Needless to say, not knowing much about the inner workings of my pc, I am concerned to do anything that might mess things up.

Please help me!!!! I've deleted things from my old pc and had errors afterwards about not being able to locate certain dll files.

My pc has Norton Internet Security 2005 anti-spyware addition that was bundled with my HP Pavilion notebook and has expired.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

Do you use either of those programs? What they all have in common is they are all Symantec products.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hello tryingtolearn,

There is a difference between the, all small case letters with extension, winfax.dll and WinFax. winfax.dll is a Microsoft system file involved in fax communications. WinFax is a program Symantec puts out. It is a Fax program. If you do not see WinFax in your Add/Remove programs list or in your program files, you do not have that program installed.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 tryingtolearn

tryingtolearn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

Thank you very much for your help. I didn't find it in Program Files, so I will go ahead and follow the instructions to remove Norton.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

You're welcome.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users