Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Should I Do?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:04 AM

first,sorry if I post in the wrong forum,since it both concern Windows Xp and Ubuntu,still...

I'm going to install Ubuntu on my comp,I need to find a program to partition the HD..SwissKnife is so far useless to me
Also,here's a head scratcher,my HD is actually a WHOLE,not two separate HD,how to I resize it?
and,the icing,how to set up in this way,like not overwritten the MBR (since I do not have the Windows Xp disc)
like,using the Windows default booter to boot into Windows Xp and GRUb to boot in Linux

if need more info,let me know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

Fear not, citizen! Your questions are about to be answered!! :thumbsup:

All the versions of Ubuntu that I've used (6.10, 7.04, and 7.10 which is the latest) will automagically detect Windows and resize your partitions for you, preserving Windows. There is no need to resize them yourself prior to booting the Ubuntu CD. Here's a tip, though: defragment your Windows drive and run chkdsk before attempting to install Ubuntu; those are the two main problems associated with resizing the partitions.

There's no easy way to have Ubuntu and Windows side-by-side without overwriting the Windows MBR with GRUB's. The Windows MBR does not (and likely will never) be able to boot non-Microsoft operating systems. Luckily, GRUB can boot just about anything. I would advise letting Ubuntu overwrite the MBR with GRUB. It will automagically create the necessary settings to boot Ubuntu and Windows.

Here's a quick tutorial of how to install Ubuntu next to Windows without overwriting the MBR: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=56723 A big pain if you ask me.

Should you decide to remove Ubuntu and go back to Windows only, here's what you do:

1. Come see me for a good talking to.
2. Seek psychiatric advice.
3. Download the XP Recovery Console from here and use it to fix the MBR.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 11 February 2008 - 11:32 AM.

#3 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

Hey Amazing Andrew! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick reply
Oh good,I don't need a partition software then! :flowers:
Sure,I will defrag the Drive,chkdsk?I forgot how to do it (opps!)
I argee that it is pain to install Ubuntu without GRUB overwritting the MBR,butI'm afaird that if the install fail,I should not able to boot into Windows anymore!

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:28 AM

I edited my reply after you replied (but before I saw your reply :thumbsup: ) to mention how to fix the Windows MBR if you don't have your XP CD.

#5 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

LOL it's ok,thanks anyway!

#6 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:20 AM

sorry to bring this topic up again,but the installation didn't go as well as i hope
after i boot into the CD,i click 'Start or Install Ubuntu' then after that a dialog pop up saying Loading Linux Kernel or something like that,after that,it just hang there,I left it for 30 minutes and it still hang

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

You may want to try getting the "Alternate Install CD" rather than the LiveCD. The alternate CD uses a text-based installer rather than a GUI, so it is much faster to load and fewer things can go wrong while loading it.

#8 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

Dang,looks like another 5 hours downloading! :S
Thanks anyway though

#9 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:27 AM

Ok,now I felt like an idiot,I didn't read in the Ubuntu part it need at least 256 ram to run!! :S :S :S
What a waste of CD :'(
Looks like Xubuntu,here I go!

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:47 PM

Xubuntu is excellent for the RAM-starved. I've got an old PC with 128MB running Xubuntu and it's very usable (not super fast, but you won't notice any delays or anything).

#11 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:36 AM

Dang :trumpet:
I just can't win at all!
The Xubuntu keep failing,complaining that it cannot read my disc and ask me to reboot
I try rebooting,re burn the whole thing again,download a fresh copy of Xubuntu,nothing.It's like my computer is anti Linux :thumbsup:
I think the problem that it is because I use CdBurnerXP (not the Pro version) but I'm just saying :flowers:
I think I'm gonna use InfrABurner

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

I highly recommend ISORecorder from Alex Feinman. I've never had a problem with it, plus it's super-lightweight and free.

#13 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:00 AM

Hey there,sorry didn't post back sooner!!
ISO recorder may not be a problem to you,but when I use it,the computer hangs of 30 minutes :S
I think I burn the whole thing using my Dad laptop,I never have problems with it!

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:56 AM

Wow! I've never even HEARD of the ISORecorder doing that! Let me ask you a question: just how old is your computer? Are we talking a few years or is this a contemporary of the difference engine? There are distributions that are specifically aimed at the ancient computer; they're not quite as feature rich as the bigger dists, but there are some quite good ones. I've heard many positive things about Fluxbuntu, for example. (Sorry to keep giving you things to download, but that's what the interent is for right? :thumbsup: )

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:05 AM

I had similar problems with early versions of ISO recorder (v2 and v3) - but a lot had to do with the other programs that I had installed on my system. I'd suggest removing ISO Recorder, then removing your other CD/DVD burning programs - then reinstall ISO recorder in the version that's appropriate for your OS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users