Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post Beeping Question.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

Thiers nothing currentlly wrong with this computer ( Well other than I have to switch the voltage to 230 for a while before it starts up on the regular 115V ) But when It does start up I hear one tiny *beep* Is that supposed to mean anything? Or that its just posting?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

One beep is normal, indicates all went well with POST.

Louis

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:22 AM

Kay, thanks =)
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:17 PM

I have to switch the voltage to 230 for a while before it starts up on the regular 115V

You might want to troubleshoot that before problems arise
Sounds like the power supply needs replaced
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 11 February 2008 - 01:18 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, I should... Would a 20pin work in a 20+4 motherboard at all? Or if I end out having to get a new one, if I bought a nice big ol' 1000W would it not work? I plan on upgrading in the future, I just wanna have a PSU can be ready with.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 11 February 2008 - 03:02 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

"Would a 20pin work in a 20+4 motherboard at all?"
Depending on the P.S. it should have a extra 4-pin connector

"if I bought a nice big ol' 1000W would it not work"
You would need the P.S.'s measurements and measure the case you have
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

So, the power supply can be as high as a voltage as it wants to be, it will still work, even if I don't have enough stuff to take up the volts? ( Sorry learning about computers. Love 'em but I learn something new each day :flowers: )

Sorry for going off topic :thumbsup:

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

So, the power supply can be as high as a voltage as it wants to be, it will still work, even if I don't have enough stuff to take up the volts? ( Sorry learning about computers. Love 'em but I learn something new each day :flowers: )

Sorry for going off topic :thumbsup:

You're not off topic, still in the correct forum. You're confusing volts and watts. Voltage makes a difference. Most P.S.'s have a switch on the back for either 110v or 220v The US uses 110v. European countries use 220v. The wattage is the power available for use in the computer. Kind of like which is brighter, a 60 watt light bulb or a 200 watt bulb. While having enough watts for your computer is important, too much is overkill. You can use THIS to figure out what you need. Then if you want, add 50-100 watts for future additions
Mark
Posted Image

#9 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

I ment off topic from post beeping question to powersupply question in the same forum.

So If I put A 1000W PSU into a computer that needs 650-700W at the moment., would that be too much for upgrades? Or should I get A 650-700W PSU and ease into a 1000W?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

I would use the calculator that I linked to. Unless you're going with 2 SLI graphics cards and/or multi-processors, a lot of drives and a whole lot of fans, I'd say a 1000w is overkill
Mark
Posted Image

#11 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

Ok, last question. Is thier a "safe area" With PSUs? Like if my computer has a 750W PSU requirement, how much higher than 750 could I go without it killing my computer.

Trying to get my info strait before I start ordering and building my computer after this one dies :thumbsup:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 14 February 2008 - 10:09 AM.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

You won't "kill" the computer by getting a higher wattage supply, just spending money you don't have to.
If I figured I needed a 500 watt P.S. for my current needs, I'd probably go with the next size up, unless money's tight.
Undersizing a P.S. can possibly damage a computer. If you bought a 250 watt unit and you need a 500 watt, that's when you run into trouble

Edited by garmanma, 14 February 2008 - 12:47 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#13 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:03 PM

Oh, I was thinking it would hurt if its too much. I play on lots of upgrades, so I wanted a bigger powersupply. I just didnt know if putting an 1000W into a 650W requirement would damage it at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users