Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Files & Processes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ataryu

Ataryu

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:54 AM

Im kind of confused. I have heard that smss.exe and svchost.exe were adware or something of the sort. While others have told me that they are system files and are needed. When I open task manager It shows 4 processes all labeled svchost.exe and each individual .exe uses a different amount of memory. And I also have smss.exe running. I was just wondering if these were needed files, or if they should be deleted.

Thank you for your help ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:53 AM

the svhost.exe is ok. Fours sounds about right 2 should be for your local services and 2 for your system. Anymore than 4 then you have problems. But four is right on the money. As for the smss.exe that is also fine you can turn it off but dont delete it. You can do this through msconfig or services. It is an Application that is used to start, manage, and delete user sessions or client sessions under Terminal Server. Here is a greta site that tells ya what you need to run and not needed!

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Edited by brunt, 18 July 2004 - 09:48 AM.

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:46 AM

That's right, Black Viper's site is a great place to learn about XP services and which are needed and which aren't.

What you need to look out for in regards to malware is how this service is spelled. If it's scvhost.exe instead of svc.host.exe then it's nearly always bad.

svchost.exe can also be bad. If it shows up in an odd place in a HijackThis log it would bear further investigation. In any event, if you want to get a better idea of what service (svc) is being hosted (svchost) download an extended process viewer like Process Explorer by Sysinternals. Once installed, make sure the bottom pane is showing (View>Show Lower Pane), and when you highlite a process, the .dll's that are loaded will be listed.

Have fun with it! :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 11:17 AM

In addition, there is a useful and rather thorough list of such applications, divided into needed, optional, and dangerous---with descriptions of each program at:

http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm

Also, for reference, is a list at:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Ataryu

Ataryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:19 PM

Thanx again ;) Ill look into the links supplied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users