Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shutting Down - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mward77095

mward77095

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

Hello, I have a HP m7250n. About once or twice a week, my computer is shutting down for now reason. The computer just stops and a blue screen pops up with an error message. This seems to happen a lot when I insert a blank CD. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this? Here is the message I get...

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x806E494F, 0xB8D954C8, 0,00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:59 AM

Welcome to the forum.

These error messages are somewhat difficult to troubleshoot, as you will see if you look at http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Scroll down to the section dealing with STOP: 0x0000008E, please.

What I would do when I receive that message (I have received it) is:

a. Check Event Viewer for corresponding errors/clues that might help.

b. Check to see that my system is not overheating and blow out the insides with canned air.

c. Reseat each memory module (take it out, put it back in the slot properly) and blow out the modules with canned air while modules are out.

d. Try to recall any change of drivers/hardware that might be related.

Troubleshooting these error messages is a process of trial-and-error, eliminating suspects one by one, in order to hopefully arrive at a solution.

One other thing you might do is to make sure that all hardware devices are functioning properly, just in case it is a driver issue. I hasten to add that hardware items are not the only ones using drivers, since your firewall, your AV, music/video editors, etc. all use drivers. The drivers on any of these can become corrupt and create problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users