Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

I really need to get remote desktop setup so that no matter where I go I can tap into my office computer. I asked this question before and got nowhere so I gave up. But now its very important i figure this out. . If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help. Please keep in my that I have comodo on both computers in case this effects anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

Hi Chugg, unless some changes have been made by M$, one can only set up a Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP Professional.
I see in your HJT logs that you are using XP Home. So, you would have to upgrade.

Set Up Remote Desktop Web Connection with Windows XP

Get started using Remote Desktop with Windows XP Professional
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

i dont mind if i can only use my laptop instead of any location but I dont want to upgrade to pro. There has to be another way isnt there?

#4 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:06 AM

Well if the computer you are connecting to is running XP Pro or Vista (except Home Basic\Home Premium) then you can follow the following guides to enable Windows Remote Desktop Connection:
Windows XP Professional
Windows Vista

Or you can use a free remote desktop service like LogMeIn

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Edited by Tomo2, 11 February 2008 - 12:07 AM.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:08 AM

No I only have windows xp home. This means I cant get a remote desktop even from my laptop?

#6 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:09 AM

i dont feel like buying professional for that 1 feature. Is there any other way?

#7 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

well there are 3rd party programs like LogMeIn that you can access anywhere through your browser?. Haven't tried any programs of the kind myself, just a suggestion. :thumbsup:

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#8 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

thanks tmo2. Does anyone else have any advice on these 3rd party programs?

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

Terminal service is included in Windows servers.
It runs on XP-home and works nicely once you're connected to work (VPN?) or some similar place and have rights there. I presume you'll need to tell Comodo to permit your computer to accept connections, but I can't tell you details since it all depends on your setup as well as that at work. Some ports may need to be opened and your work IP addresses. Give it a try, it works as you can see here http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8245/remotetoworkex8.png One of the references Tomo2 gave you shows how to set up work computer. You'll have to tell Comodo there to accept connetions from your computer, and NO other, unless you want to be hacked :thumbsup: The screen picture is of a connection via VPN to work computers which run under a domain. But the second reference KoanYorel gave above
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/m...eintro.mspx#EQG
shows it all with/without VPN, domain etc but they do seem to limit it to XP-pro.

Anyway, here you go -

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...baacae1033.mspx

Mstsc.exe: Remote Desktop Connection
Category

This tool is included in all Windows Server 2003 operating systems and in all Windows XP operating systems.

Another is MS download specific to XP-pro. You have nothing to lose but try (I have not)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 95; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows NT; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

Edited by tos226, 11 February 2008 - 11:14 PM.

#10 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

Well a few of my friends use PCanyware so I was going to recommend it until I saw the price http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/ov...amp;pvid=pca121
MCP
MSDST

#11 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

We were typing at the same time :thumbsup:

Holy smoke, two hundred bucks!!!! years ago it was free (or so I think). It too is a good solution but sure isn't free like the M$ stuff.

#12 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

I recommend LogMe in it's free , and smooth and fast.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#13 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:47 AM

I like Logmein also, however you are using a third party so there are security questions. There is another free option called VNC. This is an open source program that is very similar to Remote Desktop, you set up one computer as a the server and then there is a small client application used to access the host computer just like Rempote Desktop. The price is right so if you don't like Logmein for some reason you could try it.

http://www.realvnc.com/

Edited by enos, 13 February 2008 - 08:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users