Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues With Services

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blaike

blaike

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

My dad's computer recently had a virus that he removed through some weird method which neither one of us can recount; I know... that's not helpful. Anyways, noticeable differences include being incapable of starting certain services. When I try to start them, I get an error message saying Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

Also, the normal Windows XP Start bar at the bottom of the screen has turned from the normal green/blue to gray.

It's running Windows XP SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:52 AM

Hello blaike,

Please follow the directions boopme gave you in your other thread here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/129038/unknown-problem/

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 blaike

blaike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:44 AM

Ok, well this is just frustrating... I realize I wasn't supposed to put my HJT log in there... and I read that I'm not supposed to put it here...

I don't think I need a HiJack This log for this problem... but if asked, I'll post one.

I posted in this section because the forum description says:

"Don't know what to do or where to post? Start here and we'll help you figure it out. Or if you just want to vent about a PC invasion, then feel free to let it out! just keep it clean. "

So please... what should I do from here?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hello blaike,

Just out of curiousity, if you don't think you need HJT for this why did you post one in the first place?

Next question: I realize you said that you don't remember what was done to disinfect your father's computer, but do you remember what the virus was? Do you have any recollection of what programs were used to clean it?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 blaike

blaike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

Well when I originally posted the HJT log, the virus was still infecting the computer. I honestly didn't think it was that big of a deal, but my dad panicked when he saw his anti-virus software pointed something out in the fonts file.

There were a few invisible .dll files in there, visible through the command prompt. I think my dad found something on the internet called IceSword and ComboFix...I don't know where he found that or what those programs do.

Thanks for the help. And patience haha.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:30 PM

Hello blaike,

Thanks for the additional information. Did your father have guidance from a malware expert when he used those programs? IceSword is an antirootkit program, other than that I don't know how it works. Combofix is a specialized tool designed to be used under the supervision of a malware expert. This is because if the user doesn't know what he or she is doing, serious problems can arise up to and including the inability to boot.

Did these problems with the services occur before or after working to disinfect the computer?

I have a thought that I think is worth a try. SFC.EXE is a system program that will repair or replace corrupt or missing system files. You may need the WindowsXP disk if you do not have the i386 folder on your computer.

Start --> Run Type in sfc /scannow in the run box. Make sure there is a space between the c and the /. Results of the scan can be found in the event viewer. Let us know if running this solves any of the service problems.

Orange Blossom

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users