Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Between Vista And Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shudokansam

shudokansam

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:38 PM

Ive been trying to set up a Lan between:

1 Vista Home Premium computer
and
2 Windows 2000 computers

Each Windows 2000 computer has the following protocols installed:
  • NWLink NetBIOS
  • NetBEUI
  • TCP/IP
  • NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transfer Protocol
And the Vista Computer has:
  • NetBEUI
  • TCP/IP v6
  • TCP/IP v4
  • Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O driver
  • Link Layer topology Discovery Responder
  • Reliable Multicast Protocol
The 2 Windows 2000 Computers see each other and communicate perfectly.

But the Vista Computer refuses to see any other computer through the LAN

Windows 2000 Computer #1 See the Vista Computer in our Lan but when I try to connect to it I receive: "\\Micheal-pc is not accessible. The network path was not found."
While Windows 2000 Computer #2 does not see Micheal-pc (Vista computer) at all

Ive followed the these directions but that still hasn't solved my problem.

Im really at a loss here. Any suggestions would be nice.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

Usually a "not accessible error" is due to insufficient permissions - are you trying to access things that the Guest account is not allowed to access (such as My Documents on a particular profile)? If so, you may have to mirror accounts (setup identical accounts on all machines with identical names (renaming isn't allowed) and identical passwords).

Also, you may want to check if your network hardware is Vista compatible.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:02 AM

After looking into usasma's suggestion, you might want to look at the possibility of third-party "interference".
Have you tried connecting while (temporarily) disabling all software firewalls, including on the W2K machines?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users