Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Mjpg Codec

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VideoNut

VideoNut

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

My Windows Media Player (version 11) won't play AVI files from my Samsung digital camera. I have investigated and found that this is occuring due to the mjpg codec being missing from my version of XP Pro. This has been verified by installing a trial copy of Pegasus's mjpg codec which allows my avi files to be played albeit with a watermark. I believe that the codec supplied by MS is in fact the Pegasus codec and I don't see any reason why I should pay for it again to remove the watermark.

There are other free software that will play my AVI files but I need the codec in WMP because the video editor that I use relies on it being there to work properly. Also other Canopus programs use it.

My wife's computer who has the identical XP version has the mjpg codec and works fine.

I have even (during my annual cleanup of my computer) reinstalled XP from scratch (formatted disk, re-partitioned etc) and it is still missing.

Can anyone suggest how I may persuade the recalcitrant codec to return?
Any help would be appreciated
Regards
Pete

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

You will need a DIVX codec but only install the codec not the player http://www.divx.com/ and also AC3 Filter codec http://ac3filter.net/ dont download the codec pack only the top AC3 Filter codec.
That should see you right.
MCP
MSDST

#3 VideoNut

VideoNut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Monty for taking the time and trouble to reply.
Unfortunately DivX is not the tool for the job.
As a result of your input and another suggestion I got from to friend I did a number of things, undoing each one before trying another and this is what happened.
As I mentioned I had tried the Pegasus codec which worked, but had a watermark which I didn't want so I removed it (or so I thought)
I then copied the pvmjg21.dll file from my wife's computer and registered it in mine with no success. I removed it.
I implemented your suggestions without success. I removed them.
I put the pvmjg21.dll file back (I don't know why I did this other than trying every permutation in desperation) and reloaded your DivX and AC3 suggestions. A strange thing happened, the Pegasus codec reappeared with water mark yet only the MS file had been installed.

I am very confused
Pete

#4 jase07

jase07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

Get K-lite codec pack

#5 VideoNut

VideoNut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

I have subsequently searched for an active mjpeg codec in my computer without success. It is not shown in WMP list of codecs nor is it shown in the Video Inspector window.

I have also tested the Canopus video editing program with the DivX without success (it did work with the original Pegasus trial) so I can only conclude that the DivX combined with the rogue pvmjpg21.dll file has somehow picked up a leftover piece of code from the Pegasus trial. So much for Windows Restore function!

There are a number of generic codecs that will play a mjpeg coded AVI file, some inside WMP and some outside, but none so far work exactly like the original mvpg codec supplied with XP.

Pete

#6 VideoNut

VideoNut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:25 PM

Thanks Jase07
Unfortunately K-lite codec kit does not contain a mjpg codec. All the evidence I have leads me to believe that only a mjpg codec will do. I think that Pegasus has built a copyright wall around it.
Thanks for your suggestion
Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users