Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Out Of Safe Mode With Vista Business.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Don1

Don1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

I'm running Vista Business. I booted in the Safe Mode by selecting Safe Boot from the Boot tab in the System Configuration (MSCONFIG) utility. Now I canít get back to a normal boot. When I un-check Safe boot in System Configuration, it automatically puts me in Selective startup (as seen in the General tab). And when I select Normal startup in the General tab, it puts me in the Safe boot mode. This problem was described in a 4/21/04 tutorial by Lawrence Abrams. I assume I need to edit the BCD registry file, but I don't know how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

I would suggest the following:
1) Uncheck Safe Boot in the Boot tab, then click on Apply
2) Put a check mark in "Normal startup: in the General tab, then click Apply
3) Then reboot
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Don1

Don1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the quick response. The problem is that as soon as I apply "Normal startup" in the General tab, it automatically sets the boot option in the boot tab to Safe boot, and the machine starts up in the Safe Mode.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:25 AM

That is normal behavior (unless I'm missing something in your description).
The key is pressing "Apply" before switching tabs (from what I see in my MSCONFIG)
After pressing "Apply", then switch tabs, select the appropriate startup type and press "Apply" again.
Then switch back to the other tab to ensure that it didn't switch on you when you weren't looking.

Once both tabs are set correctly, then you should be able to reboot in normal mode.

Make sure that you uncheck the box to Make all boot settings permanent in the Boot tab also.

Check the settings for the OS's in the list above the Advanced Options button in the Boot tab just in case something has added Safe Boot stuff to it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Don1

Don1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

Thanks again for your reply. I should have mentioned that I did click on "Apply" each time before switching tabs, but I still have the problem. The only choices MSCONFIG gives me are Save boot and Selective startup.

Re the list above the Advanced Options button in the Boot tab, there is only one entry, and it says "Microsoft Windows Vista: Current OS; Default OS."

I spent 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft yesterday, and they are still researching the problem.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

What happens if you click on 'selective startup'?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Just grasping at straws here - but try this free tool (don't even know if it works with Vista): http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html

Tell it to boot you into Safe Mode and reboot.
Then, turn off the Safe Mode boot and reboot again.

Maybe it'll clear something that got stuck?

#8 Don1

Don1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

When I reboot in selective startup it loads most of the stuff, and the computer runs mostly OK. But the appearance is different and a few of the Vista features are missing (e.g. the "switch windows" function is gone). More importantly, it behaves erratically at times (cursor delays, occasional need to reboot, etc.). I've become convinced that I need to modify some boot file in the Vista OS, as indicated in the 2004 article by Lawrence Abrams
( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/ ), but I don't know how to do this.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

Here's a link to a nice free front-end GUI for the Vista Boot loader: http://www.vistabootpro.org

Also, here's a post with links on how to use BCDEdit: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=436714

#10 Don1

Don1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users