Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Fx8040 Dies During An Nvidia Driver Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gecko 1123

Gecko 1123

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:11 PM

I recently downloaded a new driver for my Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card. I have Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 32-bit. Part of the way through the installation, this happens: my screen turns black, and my computer beeps. I was able to get Windows working again by doing a system restore. What happened? Do FX8040's have a known tendency to do this? And if I try to update my driver again, what should I do differently? Thanks for your help.

Edited by Gecko 1123, 10 February 2008 - 06:18 PM.

"All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors." - Unknown

CPU: Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS
Motherboard: Intel 975X
RAM: 2x Samsung 1024MB DDR2-666 SDRAM and 2x Samsung 512MB DDR2-666 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 500GB WD5000AAKS
Monitor: LG L1960TR
Sound: Intel 82801G High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

Did you get the driver from the nVidia website? If not, I'd suggest only using the drivers from there (and only using the WHQL certified ones). This could be a problem with the driver itself, the add-ons put on by the folks that you downloaded it from, a bad download, or issues with your card.

In short, if it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it. I'd say leave it alone since it seems to be working OK.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Gecko 1123

Gecko 1123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

Did you get the driver from the nVidia website? If not, I'd suggest only using the drivers from there (and only using the WHQL certified ones). This could be a problem with the driver itself, the add-ons put on by the folks that you downloaded it from, a bad download, or issues with your card.

In short, if it ain't broke, there's no need to fix it. I'd say leave it alone since it seems to be working OK.

I got it from the Nvidia website, and it is WHQL certified. I need the driver to fix crashes while playing Crysis.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:26 AM

If the driver misbehaves when you install it, and you also have system crashes - I'd suspect that there was another issue involved here.

Could you post the information from the system crashes for us to have a look at? In case you can't find it, here's a link to info about finding it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Gecko 1123

Gecko 1123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

If the driver misbehaves when you install it, and you also have system crashes - I'd suspect that there was another issue involved here.

Could you post the information from the system crashes for us to have a look at? In case you can't find it, here's a link to info about finding it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

I didn't mean blue screens of death, I meant the screen goes black for like 5 minutes, and then it comes back and I get a message saying: (the graphics driver, I forget what the file is called) encountered a problem and has been recovered. And sometimes, the screen would freeze and show random triangles in like 8-bit colors. Then I'd have to shut it down with the power button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users