Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Varying Degrees Of Antivirus Porgram Effectiveness

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaythom

jaythom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

Yesterday I ran this same Symantec online scan and it discovered 6 infected files (see my previous post of today). Today, I ran it again and it found 1 infected file. My Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet 14 program has NEVER found either the 1 or the 6 that Symantec always finds. Orange Blossom suggested I copy Symantec's response here. Any insight, advice, or instructions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. And thanks to Orange Blossom. Jay

Virus Status: Safe!
Your computer is free of known threats.
Virus Status: Infected!
Your computer is infected with at least one known threat.
Virus Status: Unknown
The Scan was unable to determine your vulnerability status.

68955 files scanned, 1 file(s) infected on your disk drives.

No viruses were detected in memory.

Your computer is free of known threats. Virus Detection does not check compressed files.

Your computer appears safe for now. For real-time protection from viruses, hackers and privacy threats, upgrade to Norton Internet Security™.

The scan was cancelled before finishing. To restart the scan, click here.

Your computer is free of known threats. Virus Detection does not check compressed files.

Your computer appears safe for now. For real-time protection from viruses, hackers and privacy threats, upgrade to Norton Internet Security™.

Search for the name of the threat(s) listed below on the Symantec Security Response site for removal information.

Warning! The scan detected a virus that is active in your computer's memory.
The scan ended to prevent further infection.

You should shut down your computer immediately and restart it with an antivirus rescue disk or similar tool.

Your computer is infected with at least one known virus or Trojan horse.

Search for the name of the threat(s) listed below on the Symantec Security Response site for removal information.

Your computer is infected with at least one known virus or Trojan horse.

Note: The scan was cancelled before finishing. There may be more infected files on this computer.

A scan has not been run. To start Virus Detection, click here.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jay Thompson.D24H17C1\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\jvmimpro.jar-3ad601a5-13c8d5d1.zip is infected with Downloader

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 10 February 2008 - 08:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:43 PM

Ok it's just a fact of life that some scanners mis somethings. I'd like you to do this.
Please follow the the instructions for using Vundofix in BC's tutorial: How to Remove WinFixer / Virtumonde .

A text file named vundofix.txt will have automatically been saved to the root of the system drive, usually at C:\vundofix.txt.
Please copy & paste the contents of that text file into your next reply.

Then perform an Online Virus Scan like BitDefender Online Scanner.
(These require Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users