Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1068 1069 Remote Procedure Call And Windows Management Instrumentation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kimbo1462

Kimbo1462

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:46 PM

Have a Dell Dimension 4600 - Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 - 512MB Memory - 60Gig Hardrive.

Recently had the virtumonde virus on my computer. Have tried several things to remove. Thought I had gotten rid of it, but now my computer is doing several odd things.

Cannot remove any programs, cannot start services, i.e. RPC getting error trying to start "service did not start due to logon failure", same with WMI.

Did a XP repair install and everything seemed OK, these services were starting and everything running OK.

Then did the update for XP2, and having same problems again.

Tried uninstalling SP2, and it gives me an error....the system cannot find the file specified.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:03 PM

Are you 100% certain that the virus is gone? If it isn't, then all the fixing in the world won't make it right.

Tha being said (and assuming that the virus is gone), did you update your drivers to ensure that they were SP2 compatible BEFORE installing SP2? The two most common reasons for SP2 failing are 1) viruses, and 2) outdated drivers.

Other than that, I'd have to suggest backing up your data and reinstalling Windows from scratch with your Dell system recovery CD's
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Kimbo1462

Kimbo1462
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

No I'm not completely certain the virus is gone. I keep thinking its gone, then symantec finds it again. This has been happening for a few weeks. Very frustrating.

No I didn't update the drivers before sp2. So which is it.

I did just edit the registry and change this setting:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs changed ObjectName to localsystem. Also did a system restore point.

Was then able to start any service I wanted to. I have not restarted yet (I'm afraid to).

How can I tell if the virus is completely gone?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:28 AM

I'm going to move your topic over to the Am I Infected forum. The malware experts there can assist you with ensuring that the virus is gone.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users