Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Smitfraudfix

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JBMolla

JBMolla

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

I have been infected with Ultimate Cleaner. Following the removal guide I downloaded smitfraudfix. Booted into safe mode under WinXP SP2. When I try to run smitfraudfix the dos command window pops up then disappears again. Then tried to run as administrator and got a dialog box stating that this service could not be started in safe mode.
Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

What service? Could you be more specific?

EDIT: If you haven't tried running option 1 (searching) in REGULAR mode, try that first. That's what the author recommends. The author doesn't recommend option 1 in safe mode.

It's Option 2 that the author recommends using in Safe Mode, but don't do that unless a malware expert advises you to.

Edited by JDM2, 10 February 2008 - 04:16 PM.

#3 JBMolla

JBMolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

The dialog box doesn't tell me which service. I did try to run it in normamode and it does the same thing. cmd window immediatly closes after opening.

#4 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

Is the SmitFraudFix icon on your desktop? Try launching the app. from there (Unless you've been trying that way already).

If that doesn't work, place it on the root (C:) and try from there.

#5 JBMolla

JBMolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

It is on the Desktop. Will move to root and try. stand by.

#6 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:24 PM

OK, take your time.

#7 JBMolla

JBMolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:35 PM

O.K. Moved Smitfraudfix from the desktop to C:\ Tried to run in normal and safe modes with the same result. Command windows close right after opening.

#8 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

What other scans have you run? Did you download and install and run SUPERANTISPYWARE (SAS)? If not, download that and install in regular mode, and then get the latest virus definitions, reboot into SAFE MODE and do the scan in SAFE MODE. Chances are SAS will find and clean some things which may be preventing SmitFraudFix from running.

Edited by JDM2, 10 February 2008 - 04:40 PM.

#9 JBMolla

JBMolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

Tried Ad-Aware, Spybot,AVG, and stinger. Will download SAS and get back to you.

#10 JDM2

JDM2

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:50 PM

OK. Make sure to get the latest virus definitions for SAS, before scanning in safe mode.

#11 JBMolla

JBMolla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

Tried SAS, found a couple of cookies and nothing more. Sorry it took so long to get back, but I was getting pretty frustrated after playing with it all day. Had to walk away for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users