Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virusheat3.9, Smitfraudfix And Trend Micro Pc-cillin

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jaythom

jaythom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:52 PM

Yesterday, Feb.9th, I encountered VirusHeat3.9 antics and went through Dell Support Center, my anti-virus program (Trend Micro Internet Security 14) and finally made my way to this outstanding forum. Printed out instructions to clean VirusHeat3.9 using SmitFraudFix. No problem. However, this afternoon (the 10th) went to my laptop and was greeted by Trend Micro Real Time message that it had deleted Freeloader_Smitfraud. I printed out Trend's information about this Freeloader and now I'm confused. I used, following instructions by a post on this site, SmitFraudFix, and removed VirusHeat but am now wondering did I do the right thing?

A Second issue: My Trend Micro program never sees what Symantec's free scan continues to show me; namely,that I have the following 6 files that are infected:
1) C:\Program Files|Video Add-on\icthis.exe (w/ Downloader.Mislead App)
2) C:\Program Files\Video-Add-on\ictmdl.dll
3) \ictun.exe
4) \icun.exe
5) \isfmdl.dll
6) C:\Document & Settings\Jay Thompson.D24H17C1\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\Jar\jvmimpro.jar-3ad601a5-13c8d5d1.zip
(Downloader)

Any suggestions as to this issue? Should I be worried? Is Symantec's analysis correct? Does that make my Trend product incompetent?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hello jaythom and welcome to BC :flowers:

You did the right thing. Frequently security programs will flag files from specialized cleaning tools, because the same programming that allows these to work also allows malware to work, rather like the knife that a surgeon can use to help heal someone, or that someone else may do mayhem with. I'd go ahead and uninstall and delete SmitFraudFix now that you have finished using the removal guide.

As for the other issue, no one security program finds everything, just as no library has every book. This doesn't make one better or worse than the other, it just means that while you generally use one, you pay a visit others to fill in the gaps as it were.

I'd post a new topic in the Infected forum and paste in the complete online Symantec scan, and in the title mention a few of the files it finds.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users