Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3.0 Celeron Win Xp Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tloc

Tloc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:08 PM

I was buring a DVD data file and walked away. When I came back the computer was off. I turned it on, and within a few seconds, the computer shuts off. I assumed I overheating the processor as when I felt the heat sink, it was hot. This has not happened before!!

Should I just leave it to cool? What should I do?

3.0 GHZ Celeron
1 GB Memory
Foxconn MB
Win XP

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:29 PM

:thumbsup: To Bleeping computer.. Using a house fan or table fan remove the side of the computer case and point the fan at the computer and allow it to cool. Turn the computer back on and see if you get better results. There could be other issues but this help with a cooling problem if there is one. Does the CPU have a fan on the heatsink and is it working? Is there allot of dust build up inside. If there is you should clean out the computer using a can of compressed air (available at most retailers that carry computer accessories) here is a tutorial on cleaning your computer. The heatsink will get hot when the computer is operating but in most cases there is a fan on the heatsink to help keep it cooler. In some cases the processor can get very hot currently under low load my is at 37C or 98F. You can use SpeedFan to monitor your CPU temperature when you get the computer running again.

Edit: Under mild load IE: Browsing messages on the forums my processor jumps to 65c and 149F its Overclocked by 4%

Edited by Sneakycyber, 10 February 2008 - 12:37 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

If this problem continues one of the first things you may want to try is a new power supply. Sometimes the fan inside the powersupply fails and the powersupply overheats causing the computer to shutoff. Also if you have the side of the case off you may want to verify all of the fans you can see are actually spinning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users