Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

control panel is causing error in explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Reflektionz98

Reflektionz98

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:31 PM

I am having a problem with "Windows Explorer having a problem and needing to close" everytime I try to access the control panel. I reformatted my HDD and Reinstalled Windows XP w/sp 1. I only put one user (me) on the system upon installation, but after downloading and installing all available updates and also installing a few programs, I needed to add 3 more users. So before creating the other 3 accounts I created a system restore point. I then used the control panel without a glitch to get to the user accounts panel, then created the 3 users. Ever since creating them, I can no longer use the control panel. When I try, A window comes up saying "Windows Explorer.Exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for any inconvenience." Sometimes after trying again, after that error comes a "drwatson debugger has encountered a problem" window. Everything worked fine until creating the 3 other users(all 3 are limited accounts). I am the admin. on the pc. Please explain what this glitch is and how to resolve it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Reflektionz98

Reflektionz98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:44 PM

Would a Repair Install Work, Now that I have the other users added?
I know that means I'll have to download and install the updates again, but if it will fix my problem, It'll be worth it. What do you guys think?
Posted Image

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:02 PM

I think that is a good, logical next step. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Reflektionz98

Reflektionz98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:06 PM

Repair installed xp on my pc and at first it didn't seem to work until i started downloading the updates again. once all updates were reinstalled, Everything seems to be working fine. That is until i tried going to switch to classic view. Then i got the error again. I have been sending error reports to microsoft each time. They said they don't have a solution to my problem!(Surprise, Surprise!) Anyway, Maybe I will just have to live with it for a while, I don't really know what else to do. Although I am still open to advise. Thank You. I'll keep watching this thread to see if anyone has any more ideas. Thanks again!
Posted Image

#5 Reflektionz98

Reflektionz98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

Ok, I got tired of this problem and Formatted my hd again and installed a fresh copy of windows, putting in the other users at the prompt during the installation. I then downloaded and installed all the windows updates and my programs . That cleared up everything. So when installing Windows XP Home Edition, Enter all your Users During the windows installation- Do Not wait until after you've updated online, as that does more harm than good. Obviously, Windows OS's can be very picky at times, and this is one of it's issues. I hope this thread helps someone else from going through as much trouble as I went through.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users