Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's The Quickest Way To Do A Backup?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:25 AM

Hello all.

I've just recovered from a crash.

Posted Image

The advice is that I backup my files. A couple of weeks ago I installed the Cobian Backup system and started to run it, until I realised that at the rate it was going it would take at least 24 hours to do the job - which would virtually put the PC out of use by me for doing anything else.

Does anyone know of a 'smart' backup system that does the job in 2 or 3 hours or so?

I'd sure like appreciate any help with this.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:00 AM

It depends on what you're backing up, how much of it there is, what you're backing it up to, and what you're using for backup media. Please describe the process that you use to backup and we'll work with that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:04 PM

Hi usasma.

I've never done a Backup - ever. Unfortunately the Cobian Backup system is not able to burn Backup straight to a disc in D: drive. You must first save everything to hard disk before then burning to a medium.

I want to Backup what you are supposed to Backup in case of a fatal crash. My Documents, My Pictures, Desktop, Program Files, Application Data... etc. I have a Windows XP Home Edition Installation CD, so I don't want to backup those particular details.

From the responses I've been getting over a period of time from people on other forum boards, I'm beginning to suspect that it is only a very tiny minority who actually bother to Backup their files.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:56 PM

Actually, no one bothers to backup their files - until they lose them in a crash! :thumbsup:
Since Cobian won't write to a CD, I'd suggest trying some other backup programs (I like SyncBackSE but don't know if it'll do CD's either). Try over in the All Other Applications forum for some more suggestions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/57/all-other-applications/

Regular CD backups are a bit tricky (we did them at my wife's office for a couple of years). What happens if you don't insert the CD? I prefer an external hard drive for this purpose.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:31 PM

Thanks usasma - you're a pillar of patience with the newbies... :thumbsup:

I've tried Acronis, but I just couldn't follow the prompts. The prompts took me nowhere... deadends all the time.

I've had these two suggested to me by sympathetic souls, which I'll be trying. One guy completes his whole routine Backups in only 12 minutes.... fantastic! Just what I'm looking for.

Norton Ghost 9
Paragon Hard Drive Manager.

Fingers crossed...

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

I like my backup system

First my main hard drive is partitioned and data is kept on a seperate partition

Second I use an extra hard drive just in case the first dies.

Third I have a dvd burner, some data I back up is just too big for affordable hard drives

At over 4 gigs for 30 cents a dvd blank can't be beat.

With 500 gig hard drives approaching 100$ they are becoming more affordable.

Of course when officemax is selling 400 gigs of verbatim dvd's for 20$

12 minute backyps are incremental not full
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

Hi Chewy. I can't see the point of saving your Backup to a section of the Hard disk. If you have a crash - how are these Backups accessible to you?

I'm checking out Norton Ghost - & something else called Genie Backup Manager Professional 8.0

Simplicity is what I'm looking for. Nice interface and user-friendly.

#8 jase07

jase07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

if you are on a sata disk try installing another sata HD which has the same specs as of your System Disk, install Raid controller and set it up to backup all your files that are saved into the main HD. i don't know the actual process but this is widely used by web hosting services to backup client's files automatically everyday.

Edited by jase07, 10 February 2008 - 11:08 PM.

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'm a bit reluctant to use Backup services where THEY keep your personal files in their own Hard Disks. In fact, I won't do it. I want my stuff right here in the desk drawer, FMEO.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:40 PM

I don't use backup software, have tried some and it didn't seem worth the cost. A disk image of my load might be nice but since I have been up and running for 2 years now without a crash and only one infestation that I cleaned up, the imaging would have been a waste of time and money.

When I tested some backup solutions half of them didn't work. Altho I have had a small percentage of dvd data loss, I still trust them more than hard drives. Never trust critical data to one hard drive.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:57 AM

I've got Norton Ghost up and running nicely. Its doing the Backup of... My Computer ... and My Documents, but its telling me this will take all of 4 hours -- nothing like 12 minutes as others have said.

This can't be right. I'm thinking that as I have a Windows XP Installation CD, it's not necessary to ask Norton to Backup 'My Computer' -- but as a newbie I don't know.

Its burning Backup straight to a blank DVD disc. It's popped one out already as full, and asked me for another blank DVD disc.

Pretty impressive -- but 4 hours???

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:37 AM

I've never found a backup program I liked. The only one that I can tolerate is the NTbackup utility from Microsoft (XP Home users can install it from the valueadd folder on their XP CDs, Professional edition installs it by default). I actually wrote my own little backup program a few months back using the rar SDK for compression... let's just say that my first backup would still be processing had I not killed it.

But, as I said, the NTbackup program is quite serviceable. It can do differential and incremental backups on predefined folders. I have a scheduled task that does an incremental backup of all my data folders every Friday night to an external drive. It takes it about 20 minutes (the first, complete, backup took around three hours for 178GB of stuff) unless I've made many large changes.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:49 AM

The time it takes me to backup...I use Powerquest Drive Image 2002 (now camouflaged as Symantec Ghost)...is dependent upon what I backup (I do not include compressed files), how much I backup, and how much compression I use for the backup.

If you'd give some idea of how much and the type of data you are trying to backup...and how much compression you are using...then maybe someone could give you an answer as to whether 4 hours is excessive.

I might also add that backing up to DVD/CD probably takes a bit more time than backing up to a hard drive (additional function there). I backup to hard drives.

Louis

#14 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for your comments.

I'm about to dump my Norton Ghost backup software as a dud. I ran it last night when I went to bed (with auto-hibernate set for 4 hours). And I got this message in the morning:

Posted Image

Amazing Andrew - a few days ago I tried to tease out that Backup program from my Windows XP Home Edition Installation CD, but just couldn't do it. I stuffed around for ages with it, but couldn't get it to setup.

Acronis - couldn't get it to work. Cobian - wanted to run for days... Norton Ghost - couldn't handle backing up just My Document files.

I'm pretty much over it. I'm beginning to understand why so many people find the job of Backup a bit daunting and discouraging.

There's definitely a market there for a piece of Backup software that does the job without you having to worry about compressed files, and calculating your available free hard disk space, etc.

I'm frankly amazed that I've had this series of problems with simply trying to backup my files. My IQ is at least average, and I have 20-20 vision that allows me to read all the prompts on the screen.

And yet I'm STILL unable to backup my files.

(Dear O dear O dear.... slinks away muttering darkly to himself... ) :thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

LOL, I think you've just had "first-time" experiences. Like everything else, the second time is easier.

Most of the things I screwed up on...were covered in the instructions which I did not bother to read (the first time). I intentionally did this because I wanted to see how nonintuitive the whole process was.

It's all about disk space...need enough disk space on the designation, need to figure out total disk space for items to be backed up.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users