Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Partition Appeared Without Label

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:30 AM

Hi all, hope someone can enlighten me. My 40GB C (NTFS system healthy) drive suddenly started showing as only 34GB. Had a look at disk management and saw there is an unknown partion which has no label but is reported as '3.00 GB Fat32 healthy (Unknown partiton)'. On right clicking it the only option is to delete.

I have done no partioning or anything that I can think of to have created this. The only new things I have been doing is using flaskmpeg to convert a ripped dvd to mpg. This was a very slow and heavy process. The problem appeared soon after.

Hope I am not missing something simple?

Thanks,

HT
Don't Look Back

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:59 AM

It's most likely that one of the ripping programs has decided to use this drive as a virtual drive for ripping purposes.
Look in Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc"(without the quotes) and press Enter) for any new, unexplained drive entries. If that doesn't identify the drive, then the hunt for it's "owner" will be a lot more difficult.

Post back with the results of your search and we'll go on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:23 AM

Hi John (or Mr. Cranky Pants),

Thanks for your reply. I could not find find any new entries :thumbsup: I would expect them to list under disk drives in the 'devices by type' view?
Don't Look Back

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

Yep, I've had several DVD programs do this to me.

What's the exact make and model of your system?

IMO there's several ways to approach this problem.
1) Leave it alone if the space isn't needed
2) Attempt to access the Unknown Partition and see what's on it (IME the most common thing is that it's a recovery partition for your computer)
3) Start removing programs until it either goes away or you run out of programs to remove.

Two other things that may relate:
- disk imaging software may create a partition to store recovery information (Acronis True Image, Norton GoBack, PCAngel, etc)
- installations of other operating systems (such as Linux, BeOS, etc)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:08 AM

It's a Dell Inspiron 1300

From the System Information;
Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model ME051
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1596 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A10, 07/11/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2562 (xpsp.040919-1030)"

Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 480.48 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.89 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

[Hardware Resources]

[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 9 VAXSCSI Controller

IRQ 16 Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
IRQ 16 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio
IRQ 16 Intel® 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660
IRQ 16 Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
IRQ 16 Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C

IRQ 19 Intel® 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2666
IRQ 19 Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Mobile Intel® 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

I will try deleting programs in reverse order to intallation and see if it clears up. Would like the space back as I have only 10GB free at the moment. If I just delete he partion will it be gone forever or can it be rocovered back into C?
If it is a recovery partion will it revert to C in time?

I have used no disk imaging software nor installed any other O.S.

Thanks again for your help here!

HT
Don't Look Back

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

It's being a Dell may complicate things further.

Does your Dell have an option to do System Diagnostics or a recovery when you first boot it? Do you have all the disks that came with the computer?

I suspect that this is the system recovery partition for your Dell - and wiping it out will prevent you from being able to recover in the future. I'd suggest that a good, external hard drive would be a good investment and would leave this partition alone.

But, if you've got the recovery disks, you can delete the partition and regain the space - that'll just make a recovery (if needed) a bit longer.

A final option is to purchase and install a new, larger hard drive - and use the restore disks to restore Windows to that. Then you'll have all the extra space that you need without having to have an external drive to tote around with you.

#7 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

Good advice,

have an external hard disc with lots of space but as you say sometimes don't want to hump it around.

Dell came with no recovery discs but there is a recovery option from boot up (f12)

If I delete the partion then try recovery at boot I might find it available again?

I will try your sugestion of removing programs first. Then move to the recovery attempts.

Thanks John, will keep you informed.
Don't Look Back

#8 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

Hi ... That sound exactly what that partition is for ( system recovery partition ) and I wouldn't remove anything or delete anything from there .

#9 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

Seconded. That sounds like it's almost certainly your recovery partition. Not certain why the change in drive size reported by windows. I know it might sound stupid, but do you know for sure that Windows reported the drive as being 40GB in size beforehand?
Due to the way hard drives are designed\manufactured\formatted, it's usual for Windows to give a smaller drive size than the drive is labelled, especially if it's formatted as FAT32.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#10 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

OK that sounds like good advice, will leave all alone for a while. The drive of course never reported the full 40GB (37.5) but dropped by 3 GB (exactly the size of the new un-labeled phantom partition.
Don't Look Back

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

Recovery partitions are preloaded at the factory and don't just show up or create themselves, especially in disk management.
They can be hidden from my computer or explorer.

the fat32 is so the partition can be accessed from dos

Edited by DaChew, 10 February 2008 - 01:28 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:58 PM

But it has no label and just appeared in these last few days? How can I access it from dos with no volume label?

I am starting to think it is not the pre-loaded system recovery partition. I neglected to add that there are 3 partitions showing;

78MB FAT Healthy (EISA Configuration)

C: 34.17 GB NTFS Healthy (System)

3.00 GB FAT 32 Healthy (Unknown Partition)

This last one is the new arrival... Maybe flaskmpeg made it while I was converting the DVD?

Edited by Haviland Tuf, 10 February 2008 - 07:04 PM.

Don't Look Back

#13 Haviland Tuf

Haviland Tuf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

Found this article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555056
might be my problem??
Don't Look Back

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

Could very well be it - do you use the Restore It software mentioned in the article?

#15 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:48 AM

Not sure if this is any help but the last time my son reformatted my PC my drive dropped from 120GB to 107Gb. Turned out that in BIOS a setting which should have read 130hz had reverted to the factory default of 100hz. As soon as the setting was changed it showed the correct amount again.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users