Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Sata Dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:41 AM

I decided to replace my ide dvd rw with a SATA DVD drive. My existing system has a WinFast K8S755A mobo and two SATA HDD connected to sata 3 & 4 connectors. Every time I connect the DVD the system fails because it is trying to boot from the DVD.

The BIOS shows the two hdd's on ide channel 2 & 3 but doesn't show the DVD sata when I boot after installing it.
When I exit the bios and allow the boot to continue the system is looking ad the CD/DVD reader that is installed on IDE Channel 0 master to boot from. The boot device sequence is hdd, hdd, CDROM.

I've tried moving the SATA hdd's to sata 1 & 2 and that doesn't work either.

TIA,

Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:27 AM

I'm not 100% sure here - but I suspect it's either your SATA drivers, a setting in your BIOS, or a defective drive.

Did the DVD drive come with an installation CD? Have you run that?
Have you updated your SATA drivers recently?
Are you able to try another SATA DVD drive?
I would suggest resetting your BIOS to default values to see if that's an issue (but copy down all the settings first - in case the default makes the system unbootable).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:24 AM

Did the DVD drive come with an installation CD? Have you run that?

No installation CD

Have you updated your SATA drivers recently?

I haven't updated any drivers - as far as I can remember I just connected the HDD's and they worked

Are you able to try another SATA DVD drive?

No but I could try a new SATA HDD

I would suggest resetting your BIOS to default values to see if that's an issue (but copy down all the settings first - in case the default makes the system unbootable).

As far as I can remember the BIOS is pretty well in default mode but I can check this out.

The mobo installation CD has two SATA drivers on it - SiS SATA RAID and Sil3112 SATA RAID and I'm unsure whether they are both just connect with the RAID facility which I am not using.

The strange thing that happens is if I move the existing SATA cables for the HDD's to SATA 1 and 2 the HDD's appear on the screen in the boot sequence but not in the BIOS. I'm going to check if there is an updated BIOS for the mobo as the current one doesn't seem to recognise the SATA drives in a regular way.

Peter

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

I'm not sure about your mobo, but mine has 2 separate SATA controllers - and one is used for the hard drives only, while the other controls hard drives and optical drives (the JMicron I think).

SATA drivers (IME) are similar to RAID drivers - in fact, most downloads of SATA drivers will make some reference to RAID also.

Interestingly, this google search seems to reveal a lot of issues with SATA and this board:
http://www.google.com/search?q=WinFast+K8S...lient=firefox-a

I can't seem to locate a link to this board's specs (it's early here) - could you locate one?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:HWKgu...;cd=2&gl=us

Louis

#6 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

One of the Google search results is suggesting that the two sets of SATA sockets are discrete - two for RAID and two for IDE.

I bought a PCI SATA card so I'm going to have a shot at installing that again and try using it with the drivers that came in the PCI box.

Peter

#7 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

I installed the PCI SATA card and the drivers that came with it and the DVD SATA worked first time in spite of the incorrect written instructions for installing the drivers.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

Seems like a controller problem with the onboard SATA, glad you worked around it.

Louis

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

I've tried moving the SATA hdd's to sata 1 & 2 and that doesn't work either.

there's a setting for raid card boot first under pnp/pci

there's also a setting for sis serial to be ide?

Edited by DaChew, 12 February 2008 - 05:22 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users