Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Add/remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OleGreyGhost

OleGreyGhost

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:36 AM

All of my previously installed programs in the Add/Remove programs section of Control Panel lost their ability to be removed from the listing. Twenty programs are not even listed in the section. :thumbsup:
Below is a composite screen shot:

Attached File  Corrupt.jpg   111.93KB   40 downloads

As you can see, the Ad Aware entry can be removed. The Ageia entry and all the rest of of the programs don't have the "change/remove" buttons, except Driver Sweeper and Zone Alarm Security Suite. Ghost Recon which initially installed Ageia is one of the missing program listings.

The only 3 changes I made to my system was upgrading my video card from an MSI nVidia 6600 to an eVga nVidia 7800 GS. Drivers were completely uninstalled from the add/remove programs along with the old card. The new driver installation was successful. Programs and games were tested and performed very well. Installed COD4 without any problems. The other was upgrading Zone Alarm from version 6.5.737 to 7.0.337 (Retail version from CD). This presented a problem causing Outlook Express to become non-functional. I followed the detailed instructions from the ZEA users forum and successfully removed and upgraded the software to the new version 7.0.462. Both programs now function properly

About a month later, I decided to remove the Ageia drivers. I was happy with the new video card and wouldn't need the expensive Ageia card. This is when I noticed I couldn't remove the Ageia drivers. The change/remove buttons were gone. During this time, the computer did not have any crashes. Not even an improper shutdown. There weren't any virus or spy ware attacks. I don't have any clues as to what caused this problem. I did notice the NVidia entry is missing and the Zone Alarm entry is functional. Then I downloaded Driver Sweeper and removed the Ageia drivers. (DS did not remove the shortcuts or the entry shown above.)

The portion of the registry under HKLM\Software\MS\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall has only three entries: (Ad Aware, Driver Sweeper and ZA Security Suite). Also the system is not keeping track of their usage properly.

I figured to repair the problem, I would restore the registry to a previous state prior to the upgrades. But what I found was the last restore point goes back to 03/06/07. That would not correct the problem of the missing programs. I immediately created a new restore point. Then I decided to use my backup programs from November, but all of the backups are gone. So now, I am stuck.

What would be the best way to correct this problem?

Is there a way I can repair this portion of the registry, manually, without having to take more drastic measures?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards & Thanks, OleGreyGhost

Edited by OleGreyGhost, 10 February 2008 - 02:57 AM.

IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs) ^ Memory: 2048MB RAM Kingston PC 3200 CL3
Epox 4PLAI (Rev 1.3) Breeds Hill Chipset ^ AwardBIOS v6.00PG ^ 2x200Gig HD(4 logical drives)
eVga GeForce 7800 GS (AGP) Mem: 256 MB GDDR3 DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Operating Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (Oem)
ZA Security Suite^Spyware Detector^Max Reg Cleaner^Ad Aware 2007^Spybot S&D and CCleaner.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:55 AM

Hi OleGreyGhost, Welcome to the Forums here at Bleeping Computer.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't have any answers for you but I want to follow this topic as I have had a similar problem.

Your image didn't upload either, maybe you ought to edit it in at the bottom of the post.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 OleGreyGhost

OleGreyGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did edit the post by uploading the image I am new to using forums and posting. Couldn't figure out the proper format for linking the URL for the image. Will keep trying till I get it right.

Did you ever figure out how to resolve your similar problem?

Regrds, OleGreyGhost
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs) ^ Memory: 2048MB RAM Kingston PC 3200 CL3
Epox 4PLAI (Rev 1.3) Breeds Hill Chipset ^ AwardBIOS v6.00PG ^ 2x200Gig HD(4 logical drives)
ZA Security Suite^Spyware Detector^Max Reg Cleaner^Ad Aware 2007^Spybot S&D and CCleaner.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

Since (IMO) you really don't know what damage has been done...to either the registry or files (possible corruption)...and you don't have a backup of the registry...I suggest considering a repair install of XP as a repair procedure.

Louis

#5 OleGreyGhost

OleGreyGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

Since (IMO) you really don't know what damage has been done...to either the registry or files (possible corruption)...and you don't have a backup of the registry...I suggest considering a repair install of XP as a repair procedure.

Louis

Louis,
Thanks for the reply. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the files or programs. They all run fine. The damage seems to be limited to the registry portion of add/remove programs. I made a temporary backup of the system and files plus a new restore point.
I found these entries, [HKLM\Software\MS\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall has only three entries: (Ad Aware, Driver Sweeper and ZA Security Suite)], but I cannot interpret them for the change/remove buttons.
I am hoping someone here has the knowledge to point me in the right direction.

About the repair panel:
Will the repair panel put back my list of programs in the add/remove programs section of control panel?

Regards, OleGreyGhost

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:40 AM

I just checked that key for my system and I've got a ton of entries, to include MS critical updates which have been installed.

Since I don't really know if that key repopulates itself automatically if deleted, it seems to me that I would still conclude that XP needs to be repaired.

But I would wait for an opinion from others before I proceeded based upon my suspicions (not knowledge) :thumbsup:.

FWIW: Some discussion of same/similar problems, but I fail to see any real solution (other than suggestions to reinstall the apps after removing them via individual uninstallers). I don't see anything that addresses the issue of why the registry entries disappeared.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=p...d%2FRemove+list

Louis

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:17 PM

Hi OleGreyGhost,

I see you finally got that picture to show up... yeah that's kind of what had happened to me too. I have no idea what had caused it to happen but my add\remove thingy had gone nuts and disappeared over half of the stuff that was in it and then took away almost all of the 'change\remove' buttons from the stuff that was left. It had also stuck a bunch of weird looking entries in for stuff that I had no idea what it was for.

I had posted a topic about it here too, I think, but no one came up with any answers as to what might have caused that to happen.

OK, I just re-read your post and something clicked here. I noticed that all of your problems seem to have started soon after you said that you had;

--> The only 3 changes I made to my system was upgrading my video card from an MSI nVidia 6600 to an eVga nVidia 7800 GS. Drivers were completely uninstalled from the add/remove programs along with the old card. The new driver installation was successful. Programs and games were tested and performed very well. Installed COD4 without any problems. The other was upgrading Zone Alarm from version 6.5.737 to 7.0.337 (Retail version from CD). This presented a problem causing Outlook Express to become non-functional. I followed the detailed instructions from the ZEA users forum and successfully removed and upgraded the software to the new version 7.0.462. Both programs now function properly

Well I'm remembering now that all of my troubles had started after I had installed a new HP printer.

Why don't you try posting a topic with your problem in a couple of the other forums... like the "Audio and Video" forum or maybe the "AntiVirus, Firewall" one in the security section? I mean seeing as how those are two of the things that you changed or upgraded, I don't think it would hurt.

I know that I didn't get my problem fixed until I had finally done a system recovery, but I don't think that you want to do that yet as that will wipe out all your stuff on your HD.

I can't tell you anything about using the Recovery Console because my PC is so gay that it doesn't have one.

This is the tail end of a fix that I found at one of the links from that Google page that hamluis gave you.

--> hopefully the list will have returned. If it hasn’t, we suggest uninstalling all your programs using their own uninstallers - these should be found in the Start, Programs menu - and then reinstalling them to add their entries back to the Add/Remove Programs list. <--

Here's something else;

--> I had a problem with missing entries in my add/remove programs. About a quarter of the list was showing. I was pulling out my hair UNTIL...I uninstalled EA Game updater. As soon as it was uninstalled, everything came back! Was it a fluke? I am happy. Anyone else with this problem can try it if you have the same problem and have the game updater installed.

Andrew C May 05, 2003 <--

I know it's old but you said that you had just done some updating, maybe you could try un-installing the three things that you had just put in and see if it helps. Don't forget to un-plug from the Internet if you un-install ZA.

Let me know what happens one way or the other OK?

[EDITED:] Hey I found this page, --> http://www.winxptutor.com/arpbuttons.htm <-- it might help you. I followed the instructions and changed a 1 to a 0, then changed the 0 back to 1 but neither one of those settings completely got rid of the Change Remove box for my Adobe. It did change the two buttons into one button though.

I have a feeling that when you look in your registry you're gonna see that the "NoRemove (REG_DWORD)" and "NoModify (REG_DWORD)" entries are just plumb missing all together... and if they are I don't know how to add them back, or how they got taken out to begin with.

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 12 February 2008 - 03:18 AM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#8 OleGreyGhost

OleGreyGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the reply. The site (winxptutor) :thumbsup: you supplied is just the info I was looking for. It explains how to correct those entries that have the missing buttons. I will read their forums to see if I can locate anything else.
Alas, the missing programs are another subject. 25 programs have uninstallers, but my real headache is the 20 programs that do not have uninstallers.
I'll keep searching and will post what steps I take to resolve this problem.

Regards, OleGreyGhost

#9 OleGreyGhost

OleGreyGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

Hi hamluis,

Thanks for the reply. The google search gives me a good base to do some research. :flowers: I tried a yahoo search but it didn't give me anything close to googles' listing.
I checked out the repair procedure. That will only be as a last resort.
I keep checking back for advice as I take the time to research the sites.

Regards, OleGreyGhost :thumbsup:

#10 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:26 PM

Hi OleGreyGhost,

Just wanted to ask if you have made any progress yet.

Wendy

#11 OleGreyGhost

OleGreyGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

Hi Wendy,

Yes, I am making some progress ,:trumpet: but the answers are not pretty. :flowers:

I have been reading a ton of posts concerning the problems in the Add/Remove panel applet. The posts reveal that the missing programs and the missing buttons existed all the way back to Win 98. The problem has continued on thru all versions of the Windows OS to XP. (Knowing the MS track record, the problem probably extends into Vista). All of the posts I read were under XP, but the references to earlier OSes were there plus posts under win98.

From what I found, this appears to be a case of sloppy programming. I found numerous references to users getting assistance from MS tech support. (Some good, some bad, and some without a clue :thumbsup: ).

Then I found this little gem right out of the horses mouth:

How does Add/Remove Programs get the size and other information?

Published Friday, July 09, 2004 7:00 AM by oldnewthing

Filed under: Other

This is the site quoted: [url="http://"%20http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/...8342.aspx"[/url]" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">MSDN blogs

They go on to point out that the registry does not have an accurate way to keep track of the programs installed, usage or size. This info plus what I read in the posts reveals a very weak spot in the registry. It is prone to corruption. I counted over a dozen different scenarios by the posters as to the cause for the corruption. The leading cause being the ego of the big software companies that don't want you to remove their software. The insidious thing about the corruptions is that they don't always occur when the error is introduced.

I have some info for a resolution but need more. I can only address what is present at this time, not what is missing. Plus there are other portions of the registry linked to this area.

I did find out that the repair option will not repopulate this portion of the registry. Being so sensitive, this would best be addressed by someone intimately familiar with the registry and have some programming experience.

This is to credit the sites where I gatheresd some of my information:

http://www.winxptutor.com
http://www.windowsbbs.com
http://www.annoyances.org
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com

Will keep you posted on my progress.

Regards, OleGreyGhost

#12 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:23 AM

Hi OleGreyGhost,

Well I guess I just have to say "God bless you" cause it looks like you're gonna need all the help that you can get.

Now lets talk about closing the stall door after the horse has already ran away... you might want to drag your butt over to --> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ <-- and download both of those little buggers on that page.

*ahem* I mean you never know when a good backup copy of your registry might come in handy to help you restore buttons and other assorted stuff. I say that because I've noticed that Microsoft's Windows XP System Restore feature just NEVER seems to work when you really need it to.

I just remember that when it happened to me it was like right after I had installed a new HP printer... shoot just about everything in my add\remove pane vanished and a whole gang of weird looking things had appeared in their place.

I had even posted a picture of what it looked like in a thread here and no one ever was able to tell me anything that helped to figure out what had happened.

Good Luck,

Wendy

#13 OleGreyGhost

OleGreyGhost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:15 AM

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the heads up on the Erunt program. It is a good program that I already have in my arsenal.
I was using it weekly till the holidays, then I got dumb.
I just wish there was a way to view the entries in the backup and extract the info I need.
Anything else that you find and think will help, please let me know.

I know what you mean by the weird things. In the screen shot all those " ESS " entries are part of the Kodak software. But Kodak is nowhere to be found.

I am making some progress, found a couple of new locations in the registry to sort through.
Also want to read some more posts.

Will keep you informed.

Regards, OleGreyGhost

#14 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:45 AM

Hi OleGreyGhost,

OK at the risk of sounding blond here... how the heck do I get to my registry to see what that bugger looks like anyway?

Wendy

#15 utham

utham

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:46 PM

[quote name='OleGreyGhost' date='Feb 10 2008, 01:06 PM' post='737223']
All of my previously installed programs in the Add/Remove programs section of Control Panel lost their ability to be removed from the listing. Twenty programs are not even listed in the section. :thumbsup:
Below is a composite screen shot:

Attached File  Corrupt.jpg   111.93KB   40 downloads

As you can see, the Ad Aware entry can be removed. The Ageia entry and all the rest of of the programs don't have the "change/remove" buttons, except Driver Sweeper and Zone Alarm Security Suite. Ghost Recon which initially installed Ageia is one of the missing program listings.

The only 3 changes I made to my system was upgrading my video card from an MSI nVidia 6600 to an eVga nVidia 7800 GS. Drivers were completely uninstalled from the add/remove programs along with the old card. The new driver installation was successful. Programs and games were tested and performed very well. Installed COD4 without any problems. The other was upgrading Zone Alarm from version 6.5.737 to 7.0.337 (Retail version from CD). This presented a problem causing Outlook Express to become non-functional. I followed the detailed instructions from the ZEA users forum and successfully removed and upgraded the software to the new version 7.0.462. Both programs now function properly

About a month later, I decided to remove the Ageia drivers. I was happy with the new video card and wouldn't need the expensive Ageia card. This is when I noticed I couldn't remove the Ageia drivers. The change/remove buttons were gone. During this time, the computer did not have any crashes. Not even an improper shutdown. There weren't any virus or spy ware attacks. I don't have any clues as to what caused this problem. I did notice the NVidia entry is missing and the Zone Alarm entry is functional. Then I downloaded Driver Sweeper and removed the Ageia drivers. (DS did not remove the shortcuts or the entry shown above.)

The portion of the registry under HKLM\Software\MS\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall has only three entries: (Ad Aware, Driver Sweeper and ZA Security Suite). Also the system is not keeping track of their usage properly.

I figured to repair the problem, I would restore the registry to a previous state prior to the upgrades. But what I found was the last restore point goes back to 03/06/07. That would not correct the problem of the missing programs. I immediately created a new restore point. Then I decided to use my backup programs from November, but all of the backups are gone. So now, I am stuck.

What would be the best way to correct this problem?

Is there a way I can repair this portion of the registry, manually, without having to take more drastic measures?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards & Thanks, OleGreyGhost

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users