Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Paid Security Centers Do Bc Users Prefer.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Which security centers do users prefer? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Security centers

1. Symantec Norton 360 (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Trend Micro Internet Security/ Pc-Cillin (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. ZoneAlarm Internet Security (0 votes [0.00%])

4. McAfee Total Protection/Security center (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Kaspersky Internet Security (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

6. CA Internet Security (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Windows Live OneCare (0 votes [0.00%])

8. None of the above. I prefer free protection (please specify) (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

9. None of the above but I use paid protection (please specify) (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:17 AM

Well McAfee has expired on my laptop and all I have to say is thank the lord.

I am not going to ask something like "which is the best paid protection" because I want to know "what is the most prefered protection"

I haven't completly decided wether I'm going to stick with free protection. Thats why I want fedback from others. If I get a better response for free protection I'll stick with free but if theres a better response for paid I'll go for paid.

Get voting everyone :flowers:
All votes are appreciated :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:39 AM

Voted None of the above. I prefer free protection

Most of these security suites are so bloated, that they hog valuable system resources.
Also, it seems the more they add to the program, the more problems people have with it, and they're just about impossible, to remove from your system, if you ever decide to do so.
Just do a Search of the forums for McAfee, and Norton, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
That's why, in my opinion, it's better to use programs that are dedicated to doing one job well (AV, Firewall, Antispyware, ....), instead of trying to do everything so-so.
You'll have fewer problems in the long run.

Also, why pay a lot for something you can get for free, that will do the same job, if not better, and use fewer resources.

Edited by tg1911, 10 February 2008 - 12:42 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:45 AM

I have free protection and I don't see anything wrong with it but I am still considering paid. While I have had no problems with paid protection, infact I've found it fantastic. I just would like a security center to do the lot for me.

Just do a Search of the forums for McAfee, and Norton, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

And believe me, I know what you're talking about. Thats why I couldn't wait till McAfee expired.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:36 AM

I have free protection and I don't see anything wrong with it .....

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:44 AM

There are some paid protection products I like, and some free ones I like. I think Kaspersky is great, whereas AVG, Avast, and Avira are also very good. But all in all, I do like to save some money. :thumbsup:
"When I was an Alien... Cultures weren't opinions." - Kurt Cobain

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:00 AM

Honestly, I think that all pay Security Programs are big resource hogs, I know from experience. I prefer free protection for which I use AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware 2007 and COMODO Firewall PRO. This is a really good combination of free ware security and I recommend it to all who are looking for free internet security that is extremely reliable and does the job. :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

The other thing you need to look at is does your ISP provide a security suite at no extra cost. A lot of them do. I use Norton 2007 provided by my ISP. It includes anti virus, anti spyware & firewall. I also use AVG Anti Spyware & Super Anti Spyware as on demand scanners along with Spyware Blaster. But if Norton wasn't provided by my ISP, I would use free programs. So your question isn't that simple.

#8 V e g e t a

V e g e t a

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:13 PM

I prefer paid protection, ease of mind knowing that my laptop is protected by Symantec.
People complain about Symantec, but i find it dosen't effect my systems performance at all!
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_08.php
Choose yourself.
The paid protection is performing FAR better than the free junk.

#9 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

First of all, free protection is NOT junk. You might not be able to do automatic updating or have Game Mode, but that's perfectly fine with me; manual is better than having every program updated at once and crashing the computer. Kids like us cannot afford to pay for a license, so does that mean that we should be denied security?

As for the malware protection, freeware is just as good. So there might not be real time protection, but as long as you have an update to date firewall and stay away from those adult sites you won't need it much. Besides, the amount of malware the paid version and free version will detect and remove are the same, unless the companies decided that security is a privilege?

Just because you pay for it doesn't mean that quality is ensured. I can buy $500 study guides and they can all turn out to be crap. And like what tg1911, the paid things are overbloated and can hog system resources. Are those extra features really going to help you in the long run? Do realize that we may not have a 1, 2, or 4 GB of RAM like your computer does and overbloating will make our computer slow.

Edited by skyfuser, 10 February 2008 - 02:26 PM.

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#10 V e g e t a

V e g e t a

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

I prefer to stay away from free security software. Sure, it does its job, but if you can, get a paid for suite.

#11 H4CK3R

H4CK3R

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

I ain't using AV for months already, I only use COMODO Firewall PRO, In the past I have used Kaspersky Internet Security

I use my brain, I know when my PC is infected.

But I Recommend using Kaspersky Internet Security for Novice Users!

Regards,
H4CK3R

Edited by H4CK3R, 11 February 2008 - 05:28 PM.

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:21 PM

You know of course that many infections will lie dormant in your system before causing havoc. It's awfully arrogant to think you're smart enough to outwit malware creators without protection.

#13 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:40 PM

You know of course that many infections will lie dormant in your system before causing havoc. It's awfully arrogant to think you're smart enough to outwit malware creators without protection.

What he said. I probably had an infection for months and I thought the reason my computer suddenly went slow was because of so many startup programs. It wasn't until something installed and popups appeared about malware hat I realized something was wrong and I came here for help.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:36 AM

That's why the smartest thing is to run scans regularly. When I ran Super Anti Spyware last week, it picked up and deleted a trojan virus that I didn't know was there. I wasn't having any computer problems. What would happen if I just let it sit there without running scans.

#15 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Same. And be sure to use DIFFERENT scanners. a2 didn't pick up a trojan downloader that AVG did. I now switch between 3 different (freeware) antivirus and antispyware programs to scan each night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users