Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Icon Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

In the past my control panel looked like this: (this is a screen shot of control panel from my daughter's desktop-pic on the left)

Posted ImagePosted Image

The pic on the left there are more on each line. On the right, there are only 4 on each
line, and I have to scroll the page down if I want any that are now toward the bottom.
example:If I want to go to User Accounts, I'd have to scroll down. Before it was right
there in front of me-just put the cursor on User Accounts and click.

Last night, I had to go to the control panel and noticed the icons had changed.
I think, no big deal, just change the view. UH OH, the view is set to ICONS,
the view I've used for years and am used to.
However, it now looks like the image on the right.

I cannot remember when the last time I had to open the control panel-
all I know is that it was earlier
in the week. And it was "normal" then.
System restore-no joy. All that did is change to size of the icons from
HUGE to slightly less than huge, so I undid the restore. I've checked
settings on my daughter's desktop, everything on mine is the same as hers.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to get my control panel
icons back the way I want them, the way they look in the first picture?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 February 2008 - 10:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot see the difference you're referring to. I'm sure if the 2 pics. were side by side I could see the diference. Could you explain it if possible?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

Hello Queen-Evie,

The only difference I see is the arrangement of the icons: 4 across instead of 7 across. They are all still there and in the same order if you go from right to left and right to left continuously.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

I'm just used to it being a certain way-and if I have to live with the "new" look I'll eventually
get used to it. In the great scheme of things, this certainly isn't a big deal. Although I'd love to have it back the way it was.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 February 2008 - 10:51 PM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

Hi Queen-Evie,

I just had a wild idea. What if you switch to category view, then switch back to classic view? Does that change the row layout?

Also, see if anything is checked in Arrange Icons By under the View menu.

When I switch to classic view, I have 8 icons across.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:49 AM

I've seen this before (a long, long time ago) - and it had to do with the default spacing between the icons (rather than the icons themselves). The clue that tipped me off was the first icon's label. On the first pic it's on 2 lines, but on the second pic it's all on 1 line.

Check the settings on your daughters computer, then compare them to yours. To do this, right click on the Desktop, select Properties, then select the Appearance tab, then the Advanced Button.

Open up the "Item" dropdown box and select "Icon", "Icon Spacing (Horizontal)" and "Icon Spacing (Vertical)". Chaning the Icon size and/or the Icon Spacing (Horizontal) will allow you to fit more on one line.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

Orange Blossom, When I made my original post I had included the fact that I'd changed to category view, then back to classic but it didn't resolve the issue. Before I submitted the post, I did some editing and took out that part and forgot to add it back. VIEW hadn't changed-and settings were the same as my daughters.

usama, I did as you suggested and noticed that the horizontal spacing was 83-and I'm totally stumped as to how it got set that high. I made no changes to it or anything else in Properties.
After comparing my desktop properties and those on my daughters, I made the appropriate change and Control Panel is now the way I want it.

Thanks for the replies-I do appreciate it.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

Sometimes new video drivers or other programs can change this to increase visibility.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, I know this is a little late but, this might help.
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/684/

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#10 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:21 PM

Hi Queen-Evie,

I don't know how to do it the way usasma told you to but if you just grab the side of the window and stretch it out sideways then all of your icons will be up where you can see them.

And if you leave that window stretched out like that when you close it then it'll still be the same size when you open it again.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users