Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 prglor

prglor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:59 PM

I have a 9 year old Quantex computer with a 500 Mhz Pentium II processor. The OS is Windows 98SE. The computer has 2 USB ports, one of which is connected to a Belkin 4 port USB hub. The hub has a Canon scanner, an HP 895Cse printer, a smartcard reader, and a Garmin IQue cradle attached to it. Up until yesterday, all these peripherals worked fine. Yesterday, the scanner stopped responding to Paperport and to the Canon Scangear Toolbox CS program. But the other devices attached to the 4-port hub still worked fine. When I looked at the USB Serial Bus Controller using Control Panel, System, Device Manager, one of the items listed under the USB Serial Bus Controller had a yellow exclamation point on it. I noticed that there were three entries for USB Root Hub. They all had identical properties except for the no. of ports listed as available under power properties. I didn't think there should be three entries, so I deleted one. They all disappeared and I had to reinstall USB (maybe even the controller-can't remember exactly). Anyway, the scanner responded so I thought my worries were over. But it is not responding again today. (The other 3 devices attached to the hub are working fine, just as they were yesterday.) Here is what the Device Manager lists as installed under the USB Bus Controller:

USB 3prong symbol without a name
Generic USB Hub
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
NEC USB Open Host Controller
NEC USB Open Host Controller
SanDisk USB SSFDC
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

There is also an entry for USB Port Driver which has a SanDisk MSD Adaptor listed as a device.

The NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller has a yellow exclamation point on it. The properties tab for this device says 'The NTKERN.VXD driver for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2)
To fix this, click Update Drive to update the device driver. When I did this, I was asked to insert the disk labelled EHCI Driver Installation Disk and click OK. Of course I don't have any such thing. When I clicked Skip, I was told that nehcd.sys could not be found on the the ECHI disk, clicking skip again resulted in NUSb2hub.sys not being found, and skip again yielded nusbd.sys not being found. Clicking skip then resulted in the message that 'Windows has finished reinstalling the driver'.

I am guessing that there are way too many "devices" installed on the USB Serial Bus Controller and this is causing the problem. Am I correct and how do I fix the problem? And where do I obtain the EHCI disk Windows is asking for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

If you have the drivers for your USB ports/controllers...I suggest removing everything under USB in Device Manager...rebooting and installing the correct drivers.

FWIW: I don't believe there are any 500-mhz PIIs, maybe PIII is what you meant.

Louis

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

Personally I'd unplug your scanner from your USB hub and connect directly to your computer. Although they worked previosouly you may find that the scanner works better connected directly to your PC, In the distant past with WIN98SE I experienced the same problem, I just connected the scanner directly, and my problem was solved.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 prglor

prglor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately........

I don't have the drivers. When I bought the computer everything was all pre-installed. I do have a CD labelled drivers, but there doesn't seem to be any usb drivers on it. I've looked twice. I guess there are drivers on the Windows 98SE CD, but they're in .cab files and when I point to the Win98 folder where the cab files are to update the USB driver, windows says it can't find the files it's looking for. Is that because it can't look inside the cab files (which are zips)? I could unzip the cab files and place drivers where windows can find them, but I'm not sure which files are the drivers it's looking for.

And as for plugging the scanner directly into the usb port, the scanner is physically far from the cpu and I have no way of moving it close enough for the usb cable to reach.

By the way, one thing I forgot in the original post, was that in Control Panel, when I clicked on Scanners and Cameras the other day, the scanner was listed and clicking on Properties indicated it was "unavailable". Today it's not even listed. I can't find my installation disk for the scanner. Guess I'll look on the Canon website.

#5 prglor

prglor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:07 AM

Oops! I didn't have the usb hub and scanner turned on when I looked at the Scanners and Cameras folder in Control Panel today. When I turned them on, the scanner was listed and Properties indicated:

On Port:\\Usbscan0

Is the Port listing the problem? Should it say Usbscan1, or 2, or 3, or 4?

And what's with the usb symbol with no name under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in the Device Manager. That can't be right

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

Does this article describe your problem?: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294292

Try backing up your C:\autoexec.bat file to something like C:\autoexec.BAK
Then edit these lines out of the C:\autoexec.bat file and save it.

SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS

Then reboot to see if it works.

FWIW - that many USB devices (and a Hub) on a system like this could be a problem of it's own. 98SE was launched near the beginning of USB support - and as such it sometimes turns Plug 'n Play into Plug 'n Pray!. As FireKracker suggests, try plugging only the one device into the USB port on your system and see how it works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users