Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Trouble Dropping Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ratdem

ratdem

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

I'm trying to kick Vista out of my PC and reinstall my trusty old XP. The problem is that I can't reformat the hardrive (I get a "You can't format this volume" message, and when I load in my XP disc, the option to install XP is shaded out.

I would appreciate any help, as Vista is giving me almost as much grief as ME used to, and I am desperate to downgrade.
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

If you boot from your XP disc (rather than starting it within Windows) you should be able to format the drive from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ratdem

ratdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

Yeah, I realized that about five minutes after I made the first post (duh to me). I would have either removed the post or appended it with my mistake, except that after loading XP, I lose all capability to conect to the net. I've narrowed my problem down to my motherboard. There is a list of about seven or eight things that aren't functioning (network adapter, sound system, etc.), all of which are part of the motherboard's onboard stuff. I've managed to set up a partition and get back up with Vista (Thank the maker for Ghost), but I still want to revert to XP, and Microsoft's website is pretty much useless. I've got a few more ideas I'm going to try, but would still appreciate any suggestions.

PS: The main problems I'm having with Vista are that it takes ages to install some programs, and some hardware doesn't work with muy USB ports. I can't get Vista to read my digital camera. It shows that the camera is hooked up (in device manager), but it can't load the driver because "The device is not configured correctly (Code 1)". When I loaded XP, I plugged the camera in and it read it immediately, so the problem isn't the USB port.
Rage Against the Machine

#4 ratdem

ratdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Alright, never mind. I managed to create a recovery disc and did a fresh install of Vista, and the problems I was having with it semm to have stopped. Apparently HP's original install just had a couple of snags.
Rage Against the Machine

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:08 AM

Personally, I would stick with Vista - it's had some growing pains but it's proving (IMO) to be more stable and forgiving than XP was. The primary difficulty with using Vista is that not all applications are written for it. So having Vista compatible software and drivers for your devices is essential. I'm glad that the restore seems to have fixed things up. Be careful to check for Vista compatiblility before adding any new programs or hardware.

As for your XP install - you'll have to download the drivers for your motherboard and devices before installing XP. Once you install the Network Adapter driver you should have internet connectivity - but that depends also upon your motherboard/chipset drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ratdem

ratdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

Already done. I downloaded and burned all of the drivers onto a CD that I'm keeping with my XP CD just in case I ever need it. Think I'm going to keep Vista, though, as I've had nothing but good experiences with it since the reinstall.
Rage Against the Machine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users