Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Do Deleted Restore Points Go?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 redoak

redoak

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

The "topic description" is my question. Can a deleted RP be found anyplace on the HDD?

Thanks, {redoak}
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

As with any other deleted items, you are allowing your hard drive to over write them with new information that you put on the disk
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

This might be a stupid question, but can it go to the recycling bin?!

Edited by Juha, 09 February 2008 - 08:28 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

It's not a stupid question and in all honesty I don't know, I've never looked. A quick Google check didn't reveal much
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

Nope, as they're hidden (among other things) files so they won't show in the Recycle Bin (I do this at work a lot). But, this has me wondering about the actual deletion - or if they just become inaccessible?

At work, we routinely turn off System Restore when removing infections. But, quite often, we'll drop down into a Windows PE environment to clean up some of the mess. And sometimes we'll have to try a "System Restore" from the PE mode - and we use the old restore points to do this. So, I've never noticed a time where (when trying to do a "System Restore") that we haven't been able to because the points had gone missing. That's why I wonder if they're still there. I'll try experimenting with an infected system at work tomorrow morning (as long as the Alzheimer's doesn't kick in!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

Thanks "us- -" for going the extra mile. I am curious: What is "PE mode?"

I am trying to help a friend who has lost/had deleted all of his Restore Points and is in a situation where it would be extremely helpful to attempt a System Restore.

{redoak}

P.S. I am a one time "US" during the Korean War.
I am 81 years "young" and enjoying becoming computer "savvy." Need help from sites like this from time to time. Thanks to the folks who provide the assistance to those of us in need.

#7 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

PE Mode refers to booting a Windows system from a Windows PE CD.
This gives you access (generally) to a command prompt and a set of utilities. Not MS-DOS, but not the full version of windows either.

To the best of my knowledge, the deleted restore point cannot be easily restored, but I didn't realise they could be used from within Windows PE, so might be wrong.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

In PE mode you can launch some programs (such as explorer.exe or antivirus/antispyware apps) - and this lets you work without the interference of stuff that's running in Windows (even in Safe Mode). It's a handy tool for initial scrubbing of systems, but since it doesn't load much of the registry it's not a fix all when the registry gets involved in the issues.

In each restore point are a set of files that correspond to the registry hives.
To do a PE System Restore you:
- don't load the registry when entering PE mode (this leaves it free for you to work on)
- you rename the current registry files
- you copy over the appropriate files from the snapshot folder within the system restore point which is in the System Volume Information folder.
- you rename the copied files to the correct names for the registry files
- you reboot and attempt to get into Windows (it works for us about 1/2 of the time).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 redoak

redoak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

Tom: Is the program at this link what you are referring to?
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multime...ools/PE_CD.html

{redoak}

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

The PE files are available in the Windows Automated Installation Kit available here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Another option that's similar is the BartPE. It's available for free here: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users