Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Update For Win Xp Embedded With Sp1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 justafarmgirl

justafarmgirl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hello! Let's see how this goes. OS: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2. CPU: Intel Celeron D. MB: Intel Sea Breeze D845GVSR, MB Chipset is Intel G 845GV. I have been updating the computer and have discovered that Intel no longer has updates for Intel 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller 24-C2, 24C4, and 24C7.
Mirosoft has issued a Security Update (822603) to cover these drivers. I attempted to make some sense of
Article ID 822603 "Availability of Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update" prior to attempting the installation. The download went smoothly, but when I clicked Install in the Installation Wizard the Error Message read: QFE Installer Error, WE Update cannot retrieve information needed for set up from data base. I am researching QFE Installer, but really would like to resolve this. Can anyone be of assistance, I sure need some guidance. These events sure are humbling.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

Why are you updating your USB drivers, any specific problems? If you have SP2 installed you shouldn't have to worry about it
Mark

From Microsoft:
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Restart the computer.
2. Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
3. Click to select the Show updates check box
4. Scroll down the list to locate the update that you were trying to install when Windows stopped responding.
5. Click the Remove button next to that update, and then follow the steps to remove the update.
6. Download and then install the 885894 update that is described in this article.
7. Restart the computer, and then install the update that previously could not be installed.

Edited by garmanma, 09 February 2008 - 06:03 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 justafarmgirl

justafarmgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:54 AM

garmanma, thank you for your direction. I am having error messages, hanging, and missing files. I planned to address them one at a time in my future posts. I have been uninstalling extraneous programs, running
AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite, and running SpyBot and Spy Sweeper at weekly intervals. I also scan with CWShredder. The computer is old by today's standards, and I was advised to see if the drivers needed updating. Thus began this debacle. I do receive the Security Updates from Microsoft and the automatic downloads. This "green apple" is going to follow your lead, and leave well enough alone. It's good to know I have a place to get accurate information. Thanks, again.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:54 AM

Updating just for the sake of updating is pointless for your hardware devices. If it works, it's best to leave it alone. If you have an application that won't run without a driver update, that's a different reason. I should also note that the best place to get the drivers is the manufacturer of the device, not Microsoft. That means, for your USB I would go to the motherboard mfg or if it's a retail machine like Dell, their support site
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 10 February 2008 - 08:59 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users