Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Stops Responding

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:59 AM

Hi Orange Blossom!

I am having a similar problem also,with my Internet Explorer. but it is not happenning as frequently as trumpetman51 was. I use a hard drive clean up program regularly, About once a week. Or is it once a month, I forget. I also have set for update checks for windows. but i still have this problem. Also other programs are affected too. What could be causing this to happen? I will provide more information later. I will try to get some of the info I think you might need and then post it here. But if there is any info you think you will need let me know and I will try and get it for you.

Matt "Grgoffeaston"

MOD EDIT: Split from topic HERE ~ stevealmighty

Edited by stevealmighty, 09 February 2008 - 03:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hey Matt, how ya' doin' man? trumpetman51 here...I am the one that originally posted this topic...

As You know by having read my posts and Orange Blossom's replies, I am no longer having that problem and I am sure that soon you will not be having it either!!

Let me start by making it clear to you that I am NOT an official Bleeping Computer Advisor or Moderator or even a Senior Member, however, I would like to make a suggestion that is totally harmless, very easy to do, and COULD help you out!! You can try it or, of course, you can totally just ignore this and delete my message here....it's up to you!! I just KNOW what you are going through and have been there and would like to help if I can so I thought I could make this "first-step" type of suggestion. Everyone at BC has helped me SO MUCH that I feel like it is time for me to REACH BACK and GIVE BACK a little to others if I can!!

OKAY??

First of all, do you run a LOT of programs that start automatically with Windows? Are you running some type of Anti-Virus Program, and/or Firewall Software? Also, have you ever tried SCANNING your ENTIRE SYSTEM for "MALWARE" with a TRUSTWORTHY SCANNER such as Trend Micro's HOUSECALL? If not, you might want to consider doing that. You woun't be installing ANYTHING PERMANENTLY on your machine....only a harmless but helpful ActiveX browser addon that allows the Scanner to run and scan your system for adware, spyware, malware, grayware and just about every kind of "bad"ware there is out there. HOUSECALL will also CLEAN ANYTHING that it may find. It relly is an excellent "USE AS YOU NEED TO USE" TOOL for digging out something that may be already in your system and GETTING RID OF IT!!

Here is the link: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/to...security_tools/
Now, if you decide to try this very helpful online scan tool, just follow that link and "Click" on the Icon (button) that says LAUNCH HouseCall FREE SCAN.....depending on the size of your drives and how files and folders that HouseCall needs to scan it will take a while...just be patient and see what it comes up with....it might find nothing BUT it just might find something that you have NO IDEA is LURKING SOMEWHERE, ALREADY living in your machine and it will get rid of it for you and provide you with information about it.

Take my word...HouseCall is a very SAFE and very PRODUCTIVE SCAN and it is WELL WORTH the time if you have never tried it before. Just follow the step by step instructions and let it scan your WHOLE MACHINE...ALL DRIVES...anywhere where you have sved anything!!

Please let me know what you come up with after running HouseCall!!

Hang in there!! :thumbsup:

trumpetman51 (John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

Groffeaston, Please refrain from posting in other members topics requesting help for your own issues. Aside from the fact that it it poor "netiquitte" to hijack some one else's thread, you will get more responses to your question(s) by starting your own topic.

Thanks, and best of luck with your computer problems! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:22 PM

can you clarify what is or is not happening on this machine?

what are the specific problems you are having and what scans have you so far fully updated and run to see if it is an infection that is causing this problem or an overworked computer ?

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:06 AM

Well let me say I am sorry!! I did not realize I was HIGHJACKING anyone elses thread. :flowers: And Secondly I stated I was Having a Similar problem And that other programs are affected too. That I use a hard drive clean up program regularly and have automatic windows updates set. But I still have the problems. I saw that trumpetman51 had his problem fixed, and Orange Blossom Had helped him, I did not see what the Fix was. So I asked What could be causing this problem. And then said that I could get more infomation and then post it if needed. Also that I would try to gather what info, I think would help. But I forgot what problem I had posted about and where I had posted it. :thumbsup:

Now, I am still having those damn problems. Sorry, Dang problems. I am in a bad mood right now because of the computer problems. I think I will try that program trumpetman said about and see if that helps.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

Well let me say I am sorry!! I did not realize I was HIGHJACKING anyone elses thread. :thumbsup: And Secondly I stated I was Having a Similar problem And that other programs are affected too. That I use a hard drive clean up program regularly and have automatic windows updates set. But I still have the problems. I saw that trumpetman51 had his problem fixed, and Orange Blossom Had helped him, I did not see what the Fix was. So I asked What could be causing this problem. And then said that I could get more infomation and then post it if needed. Also that I would try to gather what info, I think would help. But I forgot what problem I had posted about and where I had posted it. :flowers:

Now, I am still having those damn problems. Sorry, Dang problems. I am in a bad mood right now because of the computer problems. I think I will try that program trumpetman said about and see if that helps.

While we understand that you're flustered, there's no need to lash out at anyone, as no one was lashing out at you. The main reason we like for members to start their own threads is so that they get their issues resolved that they need help with. You stated that you're having similar problems, which might require a different approach to finding a fix to your issue(s), therefore, you need your own thread, so that you'll get your own personalized responsed that are unique to your issues and not unique to someone elses similar issues. This helps to ensure that you get the help that you need, not the help that the person before you needed. It goes without saying that what worked well on his computer might render yours inoperable.

With that said, let's not get into this entire "hijacking" instance. It was a simple correction, where I took the time to split this into a separate topic for you to ensure that you'd get the best help our members could provide.

Again, best of luck getting your computer issues resolved. :trumpet:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:03 AM

so we understand properly what your issue is , try to start again from the beginning and explain what is happeing on your computer to enable us to offer you individualised help ; please include any detail of your windows, version , antivirus protection and other scanners :thumbsup:
thank you :flowers:

#8 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:57 AM

Hello everyone!

Sorry about my little outburst there. But sometimes these computer problems get on my nerves and make me angry! I am much calmer now! :thumbsup:

After checking in the other night, I tried the program that trumpetman51 suggested. But unfortunately with dial-up internet access, My connection is too slow to run the program. After that I was in the middle of a update download for Adobe reader I believe when my Windows Explorer crashed and then My computer stopped working, a.k.a crashed! The other programs that have not been working as they should be are Ad-Aware 2007 (that has totaly stopped working),X drive has not worked properly or has stopped working at times,and at times various other programs stop working also.

Could it be, that one time I had started to download Apples I-tunes & Quick Time, But had to stop in the middle of the download. when I check in the Control Panel area there is Viewpoint Manager and it was not there before. I click on it it says "Application not found". Could that be causing some of the problems?

I have Windows Vista Home Premium,McAfee VirusScan,Windows Defender,Spybot-S&D, and Ad Aware 2007(but has stopped working)

I hope this information helps. If you need more let me know!

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

I know these things can be EXTREMELY frustrating ( on my own XP machine I had to do a Restore to sort out a misbehaving program :thumbsup: ) Restore is on board for this very reason, to help sort out these glites , so , assuming you have System Restore enabled , look IN there for a date when you know all WAS working and, if it will let you, roll the computer back to that date

try that to start with :flowers:
this guide explains where you will find your restore
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-system-restore-guide/

#10 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

Hello!

I do not know if the System restore will work. because This problem Has been poping up in some form or another for some time. Meaning, Internet stops working for no apparent reason. It has happened ever since June of 2007. I went into the, "Problems Reports and Solutions" menu in the Control Panel To look and see when the problems started. It shows that it started happening back in June of 2007.

Some of the problems have solutions and have been tried. But the problem keeps happening. could it be several different things causing this to happen? or do I have a malware program that could be doing this that my scans have not been able to pick up? Or could I have done something to the settings or something else to cause this to happen? or Do I have too much Crap on my computer? Which there should not be. because I still have a lot of hard drive disc space left.

Any more I deaas? What is that Anti spyware program: Superspy- something or other Called could that help? So far none of my scans have detected anything. But that does not mean there is nothing there.

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

lets get some basic scans done ( to be run while the computer is OFF line ) :thumbsup:

fully update, reboot and run superantispyware on a full deep scan

FREE EXE is here
fully update
asquared

reboot and run on full deep scan

its FREE exe is here

see what each of those finds ; they may take perhaps a few hours to run ON full deep scans so be prepared :flowers:

Is your Macaffee fully up to date and are all your Windows updates fully updated?

#12 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:38 AM

hello!

I downloaded the SuperAntispyware free program, And will download the a-squared Anti malware free program. Then I will run them as per your instructions.

Yes my McAfee is up to date and my windows is up to date except the one update which is taking for ever to download. Because it is 196MB and I only have dial-up internet access with a 56KB internal modem and average download speed of 2kbs-3kbs. I am up to about 85% completed of the download that is just a 1 file download, and then what ever else comes up besides that.

I will post back here with the results or any updates as to what I am doing.

Sincerely
Matt

#13 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hello Ruby!

I downloaded SuperAntispyware and did the scan as you instructed. So far It only showed the cookies that are on my computer. I am going to download the other program you said to download. And then I will run that program like you recommended. I will let you know how it turns out.

Sincerely,
Matthew

#14 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:38 PM

Hello Orange Blossom!

I finally Downloaded the other program,but did not get a chance to run a scan yet. I have been sick for the past couple weeks. I had a sinus infection and thought I was over it. But it came back with a vengence. But now I am starting to feel a lot better. I think I have another Internet Explorer stops responding problem, pop-up on me. Should I post it in a new topic? Or list it here?

I will try to run the, A Squared program, on deep scan like you said, in safe mode, after a restart, tomorrow. After I do the scan, I will let you know what it comes up with, other than the cookies that I know about,that are on my computer.

Sincerely,
Matt "Groffeaston"

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:23 AM

Hello Groffeaston,

I hope you are feeling better. Sinus infections are awful.

Actually, I hadn't posted to this thread yet. :thumbsup:

I think I have another Internet Explorer stops responding problem, pop-up on me. Should I post it in a new topic? Or list it here?

Go ahead and post it here. It's probably related.

Can you describe the pop-up in more detail please?

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users