Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xhtml & Css With Ie7 Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cheftech

cheftech

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

I am trying to publish my first web site. I am wanting to use CSS & write it in XHTML format, which if I understand correctly is the best way to go.

My problem is that when I published my site, it just lists the files and not a site. The files themselves are not accessable because IE7 asks what program to open them up with. I know that IE7 is not XHTML/CSS friendly but I also know that there are a lot of sites that use this format. I am not sure what I am doing wrong or what I can do to fix it. This is a copy of my DOCTYPE.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

I have seen on other sites an additional stylesheet that is there incase IE is used but I don't know what is on the stylesheet or if that would solve my problem.

Any direction you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

The question that comes to mind is are you saving your html files with an .html extension? Xhtml is just an expanded form of html, so there is nothing special that needs to be done with it. Can you open the files in your browser on your own computer?

I know that IE7 is not XHTML/CSS friendly

IE7 does things with the CSS that other browsers may not, but it handles html pretty much the same way as all other browsers, with a few exceptions. Unless you are actually defining your own custom tags. That wouldn't cause the problems that you are describing though.

#3 cheftech

cheftech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

I am saving all my web pages as .xhtml files. I thought that this was necessary when using xhtml. Was this not correct?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:37 PM

No. They are still .html pages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users