Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Repair Emachines

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 docpoco

docpoco

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

I currently have two e-machines that I purchased out in my shop. They both have the same problem. The computer "turns on" (fans, lights, etc.) but nothing happens on the monitor (no signal). I have tried known good video cards, one got a new power supply, and the most recent drastic measure, I got two new motherboards.

I am still having the same problem after installing the motherboards.

COmputer comes on, nothing happens on the monitor. There is no signal at all.

What is left IYO?

Am I going to have to break down and purchase new processors for them? Is this something that is likely to go bad?

I am about to pull my hair out with all this AMD crap.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:11 PM

Have you tried different monitors?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

You don't hear a single post beep?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:54 PM

The monitor is a known good, and I'm not sure how to listen for the beep.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

POST beep = Power On Self Test
When you turn on the computer and everything is normal, you should hear a single beep through the computer's internal speaker. You might also hear a different combination of short and long beeps. If you know what BIOS mfg you have you can look up the code and tell what area of the computer is having problems
More Info
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:35 PM

How long ago did you purchase the original computers? Surely they come with some warranty? Even if they didn't I would of took them straight back and got my money back! Anyhow what are the spec of these machines, what components are inside the machines? If you could provide us with a bit more info it would help greatly!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

Can you try different ram in them, or see if there are multiple sticks and try using only one at a time.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

how sure are you of the replacement motherboards you put in, are the boards, cpu and ram new?

#9 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

I bought these mega-cheap because they just stopped working and the owner didn't want to deal with it.

The ram is known good, as is the power supply.

One MOBO is new, the other is not, but is guaranteed and was pulled from a working machine.

What other info would help?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

I worked on one for a day or two, best I could figure the mobo died and took the cpu with it, I scraped the computer for parts
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:06 AM

There seems to be alot to workout here. Rather than trying to solve problems caused by one machine, Lets start with the BRAND NEW mobo. First a couple of questions:

1) Do you have the make and model of your mobo
a) Make and model of memory
:thumbsup: Make and model of CPU
c) Make and model of gfx card
d) Make and model of power supply

2) Assuming that the mobo is working, only connect up the necessary devices, CPU, one stick of memory and graphics card. Then as a couple of other members said, listen for the POST BEEPS.

Just out of interest the monitor your connecting up to your PC is it a CRT or a LCD/TFT? If it is a TFT/LCD have you changed the input? E.G on my TFT you can either choose Input 1 or input 2.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

The most common problem we see at work with eMachnines desktops is bad motherboards. I'd suggest having the motherboard tested with a bootable motherboard tester (although that won't always be able to identify all issues). The software is expensive (around $500).

This is what we use at work: http://www.eurosoft-uk.com/pc_check.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:20 PM

you have several machines. One new motherboard and one new power supply. I would pull the components from the other machines and start trying them in the known good motherboard and power supply untill something works.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#14 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

Sorry it took so long, I have been out of town for several weeks and just got back. Seems everyone kind of approaches this from a different angle. I'll try to answer all questions.

Lets just start with the first computer. Its a W3107. The fans spin, and the lights come on, but I do not hear any beeps.

I purchased a new MOBO. Technically it is not new, but was refurbished.

This is it here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=140191756068

The same problem exists as before. Everything unneccesary is disconnected. Video card is an old crappy Rage Pro that I am positive works. Power Supply is new, but works when connected to another machine that currently has no problems.

Does this help? What else am I looking at RAM or CPU?

#15 hippiej7666

hippiej7666

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:16 PM

i had this same thing happen to our emachines.....we ended up taking it to a repair guy and his diagnostic and repair was that the power supply or the motherboard was intionally bad and took the other one out so we paid for new mobo and psu and everything worked......i would play around with those 2 new ones you got and see if you can get one working computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users