Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Load Explorer (previously Auto Shutdown)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Krakus

Krakus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

I have a problem. My situation right now is that Windows XP (updated to service pack 2) does not load properly.

My initial problem was that I was suddenly getting a "Services and Controller App has encountered a problem and needs to close" error on Windows startup.

When I closed this dialog, I then received a system shutdown error: "This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM." Also, the message: "Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly."

After doing some reading, I managed to call up the Windows Task Manager prior to closing the first error dialog, invoked "shutdown -a" and was able to enter the CMD shell. From there, I installed Norton Antivirus (which I didn't have before!) and also ran the Avast virus tool.

Somewhere along the way I got a blue screen and had to reboot. Now, when Windows loads, I get a blank desktop. I am no longer getting a crash in "Services and Controller App". But I cannot see the Start button. I can invoke the Task Manager, but when I type in Explorer, the system bar at the bottom launches for a few seconds, the system tray loads, and then it promptly disappears from the screen again. So I cannot access Explorer or the start menu. I can only work from the CMD shell.

Also, another problem is that I cannot invoke Safe Mode while booting up. I hit F8 repeatedly, but nothing happens, so it seems that it has been disabled somehow.

The most obvious problem is the fact that Explorer keeps disappearing on me. Any ideas on where to begin?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

I would say that you're still infected - and will have to run antivirus tools from the command line in order to start to rid yourself of the infection. Try a Google search for Command Line Scanners to start.

Then, I'd suggest you post in the "Am I Infected?" forum for some more expert help: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users