Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Card Dead?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:04 PM

I currently have a BFG fx5500 pci. Trying to figure out if its dead or a cooling problem. The night before it was working perfectly while gaming and web surfing. That night i turned off the computer and then turned it on the next morning. When my comp starts up it will first display the compaq screen, then display windows XP, then i will see my desktop with all my icons. About five seconds after i see my desktop with icons it goes away and its desplaying a bunch of lines and squares. Im wondering if its a cooling issue because ive heard many times that the fans go out or dont work well or is it dead. This will happen before my computer is fully loaded so im not able to click on anything yet.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Check the card and make sure the fan is working properly (if it has one). Try placing a house fan next to the computer and see if the card still acts up. If it doesn't work properly with plenty of cooling its problably going dead.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

Yea it messed up because of the dust. I took the heatsink and fan apart and cleaned it and now it works. Thanks for the help
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users