Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pioneer Dvd-rw Stopped Working.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phatjeffrey

phatjeffrey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hello everyone.

Laptop:

Acer aspire 5630
Windows XP SP2
DvD drive : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K1RS

Last night, i wanted to add to a dvd some files ( multisession). When i wanted to do that nero 7 gave me a msg saying that i had to convert from one format to another ( sorry didnt pay attention to it ) thought it was standard.

5 mins into the burning i realize that it might be "stuck" at 18 %, the dvd drive was making a sound repeatedly, nothing too loud, a "shrug" sound maybe.

I waited for a minute and decided to cancel the burning, of course nero would'nt , so i had to force shutdown my laptop.

I opened the drive and i felt it was very hot, the dvd disc smelled a little bad also.

Now whenever i insert a dvd, it makes the shrug sound once and doesnt detect /read any cds/dvds. Windows says that the drive is fine and working properly.

I tried googling my drive number etc, didnt come up with any links related to it, no one had problems, couldnt find firmware, cant even find it listed on pioneer.com

Please Can anyone help me ? I'll answer any questions or provide any more details if u need. Thanks.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sonic1186

sonic1186

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

This might not help but you could try ejecting the drive tray and blowing hard into it about 2 - 3 times. Just incase there's a slight chance a dust build up is interfering with something. It has worked many times in the past for me......you say it does this whenever you insert and try to read a CD of any type?

#3 phatjeffrey

phatjeffrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

I already tried cleaning/blowing into the drive, doesnt help. :thumbsup:

FWIW, it makes the same sound when the laptop boots, and if i open/close the drive with or without a CD/DVD inside it.

#4 phatjeffrey

phatjeffrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

sorry double post..

Edited by phatjeffrey, 09 February 2008 - 11:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users