Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Dead Processor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mirciu

mirciu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:40 AM

PC specs>>> P4 @ 3.0; Biostar - P4M80-M4 motherboard, Maxtor 120 GB IDE HDD, BFG nVidia 7600 video, 1 Gb RAM, 600 W PS.
Problem>> My PC stays on 24/7. One morning I found it OFF. Try to start - no power.
Got a new power supply - still no power.
Unplugged everything - still no power.
Unplugged the power to the CPU - I got power - fans started to turn on - but no power to the HDD or the front panel display.
Plugged the power to the CPU back - dead again. Removed the fan, heatsink - cleaned the processor from old thermal paste - apply new paste - put everything back - still dead.
Question >>> did my processor die? Is there anything else I should try before go uot and buy another processor? Would this board support a Dual core CPU>

Thanks to everyone that can help out.

Edited by mirciu, 09 February 2008 - 09:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sonic1186

sonic1186

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

I would almost say it has something to do with the way the motherboard is distributing power. Resetting the CMOS couldn't hurt. either do it with a jumper pin or remove the onboard battery for 10 mins.

#3 mirciu

mirciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

I tried that. No luck.

Thanks.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:39 PM

Disconnect the PS from everything. use a small jumper wire or even a paper clip and short-out pins 14 and 15 on the power supply main power connector, it's a green wire and a black ground wire
connector pinout
you've got to scroll down the page
If the power supply turns on, then try it with just the motherboard, make sure ALL of the motherboard plugs are connected (make sure the isn't an auxiliary 4-pin plug on the motherboard). If that works, add things back one at a time
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 09 February 2008 - 01:40 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 mirciu

mirciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

Thank you < garmanma >.
I did that - PSU turns on.
Then I plugged in the CPU's 4 pin power connector [JATXPWR2] - and turned dead.

I tried this with 2 PSU (a 550 and a 600) - same result.

Edited by mirciu, 09 February 2008 - 01:51 PM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

Try removing the CPU and plugging in the power supply and see if you can get the computer to post. It should start to post and fail because of the absent CPU. If you cant get it to post the motherboard may be dead. The only way to know for sure is to try the components in a known good system. Make sure you have a speaker plugged into the motherboard to hear the beeps.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 mirciu

mirciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

Thank you <Sneakycyber> but it didn't work.
I removed the CPU and plugged everything else in. - Dead.
Unplugged the power to CPU - the fans started but not the HDD.
So far no progress at all.

#8 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

sounds like a power surge/spike. probably fried the motherboard, cpu, ram at minimum.

#9 mirciu

mirciu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:35 PM

I don't think that's the case <RLI> - I have 4 PC's running here and this is the only one that I found off the next morning. The others didn't even restart let alone be turned off. There was no sign of power surge that I could see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users