Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Carlton Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brendex

Brendex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:31 AM

Hi, I am having a serious problem with this 'carlton' virus that appears as a file in the start menu. I have also noticed that a few weird processes are showing up such as 'Qtime.exe' and 'wcntfysvc.exe'. When I try to end these processes, I get the Access is denied error message. Oh and I'm running Windows 2000

I've also seen a few weird files pop up in the C drive under C:\. I have no idea where they have come from. I think the viruses stop executable files from being executed as I can't run many of my programs.

The most concerning thing for me is that I have already tried formatting my hard drive and the files just come back again.... anyone out there... please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

Hello ,i have aquestion and comment . As you have a serious Backdoor.Sdbot trojan the only real cure is probably a reformat. As that is the only way to be certain that it is removed.

I have already tried formatting my hard drive and the files just come back again

Did you do a complete format and reinstall?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Brendex

Brendex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:19 AM

Hello, I did a complete format of the hard disk I think... I just used my windows 2000 CD to boot up and setup. The setup asked me whether I want to repair or install a fresh copy of windows, so I went for the fresh copy, it also asked me if I wanted to format the C: drive or not, and I said yes. After formatting, it installed the fresh copy of windows.
Thanks for your reply boopme!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

You probably need to run an app such as Active@ KillDisk . This will totally erase the drive of any data (and malware for that matter)and it cannot be recovered.
Or post in the apprpriate Operating sytem forum for further suggestions on wiping the drive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users